1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved CLR error: 8000405

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Taurerbua, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

I uninstalled two Ruiware programs that had worked troublefree for years. After a C Cleaner sweep I kept getting persistent error messages related to these two, even when they were not running. After uninstalling them, the error messages stopped. During the setup to reinstall the first one, a new error message came up. New in the sense that it gave a different error number. Not new in the sense that it, too, was followed by “The program will now terminate.”

It seems that a problem of this sort has at one time been dealt with here, since I found the forum in the results of a websearch. After going through registration, however, I’m clueless as to where that discussion might be stored. Thanks, in case anyone familiar with it, or with knowledge of how to resolve such a snag, cares to address my concern.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Taurerbua likes this.
  3. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

Hello blues_harp28,

Thanks for your prompt reply and good advice. I did check, although I was quite sure that Ccleaner is not in my autostarts and that I hadn't enabled system monitoring. I've learned from unpleasant experiences to be careful in these matters. I have only 8 autostarts, not counting system services.

You correctly intuited, though, that I use Winpatrol. I've loved it since it first came out. And, the two programs I uninstalled and now have trouble reinstalling are the antiransom and firewall by the same developer.

I suspect that Ccleaner did alter something or other in the registry that's needed for the language these programs are written in. If that's the case, it's my fault. I ran the cleanup during a hectic time and may have inadvertently checked a non-default section in Ccleaner's task menu. I really don't remember.

At any rate, your suggestion is well appreciated. Having Ccleaner and Winpatrol get in each other's way monitoring would have been problematic. I'll stay tuned in here for more ideas and also keep you informed of anything else I manage to unearth about this.

Kind regards

4. blues_harp28

I do not know these two programs you have mentioned.
    Do not use the registry cleaner in Ccleaner. Registry cleaners can cause more problems than they solve.
    Check and post
    TSG System Information Utility - found here.
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Download Security Check by screen317 from.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/
    Save it to your Desktop.
    Double click the install icon.
    If using Vista - Win 7 - right click the install icon and select "Run as Administrator"
    A command Prompt window will open.
    Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
    It should now open in Notepad.
    Copy and Paste the result of the scan in the reply box below.

The saved log will be called checkup.txt.

Taurerbua likes this.
  5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Unfortunately, BillP, the developer of WinPatrol had to sell the company. Bill has health issues.
    Ever since it was sold, it has gone downhill. There is little to no support for WinPatrol.

You can see discussions here where support used to be given.
    https://www.landzdown.com/anti-spyw...patrol-plus-winpatrol-firewall-winpatrol-war/

There are other threads at that forum by others mentioning the lack of support for the programs.

Taurerbua likes this.
  6. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

Thanks, once again, blues_harp28. The speed and clarity of your responses amaze me! I'll follow your instructions and post the results for your review. It'll likely be a few hours before I can do it, since I'm momentarily tied up assisting a friend in need.
    I appreciate the information regarding the support deterioration at Winpatrol, of which I was unaware. In the years of my using the three programs I never had occasion to request support. They are running glitch free on my Windows 10 laptop, just as they did on the Windows 7 PC and several others before, but I'm glad you brought the potential future snags to my attention.
    Need to sign off now and get back to helping my friend. I'll provide you with the logs as soon as I can. In the meantime, I wish you a peaceful Veterans Day.

7. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

Greetings and thanks to plodr. I'll definitely check out the links you kindly posted. Sad to learn about the goings-on at Winpatrol. The programs Bill wrote were second to none. It would be a shame if the new owners were to neglect their proper upkeep.

8. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

blues_harp28, good morning! As I anticipated, I was not free to work on this till now.
    But here they are:

SYSTEM INFO

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8070 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1844 GB (1668 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gateway, DX4870
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security Online, Enabled and Updated

SECURITY CHECK

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.014 --- 12/23/15

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is disabled!)
    Internet Explorer 11
    ``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
    Windows Firewall Enabled!
    Windows Firewall Disabled!
    Norton Internet Security Online
    WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
    `````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
    WinPatrol
    Mozilla Firefox (63.0.1)
    Google Chrome (69.0.3497.100)
    Google Chrome (SetupMetrics...)
    ````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
    WinPatrol winpatrol.exe is disabled!
    `````````````````System Health check`````````````````
    Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 2%
    ````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

I'm grateful for your generous gift of time and attention.

9. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

Results of screen317's Security Check version 1.014 --- 12/23/15
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is disabled!)
    Internet Explorer 11
    ``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
    Windows Firewall Enabled!
    Windows Firewall Disabled!
    Norton Internet Security Online
    WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
    `````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
    WinPatrol
    Mozilla Firefox (63.0.1)
    Google Chrome (69.0.3497.100)
    Google Chrome (SetupMetrics...)
    ````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
    WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
    Ruiware WinPatrol WinPatrol.exe
    `````````````````System Health check`````````````````
    Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 2%
    ````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Sorry about the red disabled scare above. That was my doing. I turned the security off for a drivers update that ran while I was busy helping my friend. I just forgot to turn them on again when I came back.

10. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

Oh! I belatedly turned the user account control back on also. I don't think you'll want me to post the log again just for that. I will, though, if you want me to. It'd been a bit of a rough night. I'm not always this forgetful.

11. blues_harp28

Hi, you do not need to re-post Security Check by screen317 log file.

You have Norton Internet Security Online installed and should not need to install any Anti Ransom program.
    If both programs are running in real-time they may end up scanning the same files and folders/applications, etc and you may end up less protected, not more.

Let us know if all is now a OK.

Taurerbua likes this.
  12. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

Thanks, blues_harp28 – and sorry for my late response. I have been out juggling too many things again today.
    I’m fine for now, although I will continue looking for what set off error messages against two law abiding programs. That Ccleaner’s maybe a little too enthusiastic sweep a while ago has been at least complicit, seems fairly evident. An innocent shared dll or some dependency – collateral damage in Net Framework – wispy things of that sort populate my thinking And, you know better than I ever will that Windows bowel issues are not self correcting.
    Your reasoning that conflicts can arise from task-redundancies makes perfect sense to me. It’s sound advice I’d follow any time. But on the outside chance you might be interested, I’ll mention why this is no clear-cut instance of the principle in question.
    I’ve used the Ruiware programs for years, whereas I only recently acquired Norton. My carrier bundles it for free with in-home line, hardware, and connectivity repair, along with other services I value.
    When I got Norton, I adjusted settings – both in Norton and in Winpatrol’s WAR (anti-ransom) program, to keep each one on its own tracks. Plus, they have different objectives in the first place.
    Unlike Norton Online, Win WAR does not bother with scanning. If something has an executable or script it gets arrested till I whitelist it. It’s radical approach is called "preemptive strike.”
    The other Ruiware program, while classified a firewall, focuses on privacy threats. The pair doesn’t infringe on Norton’s beat, and Norton has no problem with their simple doglike law enforcement method.
    Hardly existing overlaps in jurisdiction get configured off the map. As I mentioned before, the applications work together well on my Win10 laptop and did so on the Windows 7 PC, until I let Ccleaner cause a problem with the underlying system – or expose a dormant one already waiting to erupt.
    I hope my speculations didn’t bore or, worse, offend you. As to my current issue, I’ll just plod along snooping as time permits. I want to get to understand what went awry, exactly where and how and why. Especially my part in it, so that I’ll never have to haul two faithful dogs off to the pound again. Fond greetings to all of you daring captains voyaging the treacherous cyber seas. Thanks in advance for any further guidance.

13. blues_harp28

We all stay with programs and applications that we feel work best for us, and that's how it should be.
    Sometimes things go wrong and it can be trying but that's why computers will always need human input, well that's my belief anyway.
    On Winpatrol’s WAR and other programs - don't forget what plodr said
    post # 5
    If all is now Ok - it can be marked Solved at the top of this page.:)

Taurerbua likes this.
  14. Taurerbua

Taurerbua Thread Starter

Agreed. I’ve also checked plodr’s links and read the comments there. Thanks, again, and all the best.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice