1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

clueless and getting worse!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by syb, Dec 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syb

syb Thread Starter

Hi To All!

I'm having some difficulties trying to reformat my friend's computer...she is currently running Windows NT which hasnt run properly from it was installed, we are now trying to install Windows 98.
    I managed to run FDisk and deleted her non- dos partitions and NTFS but it will not allow me to format C: it keeps telling me bad command or file name at A> prompt
    Can anyone help!

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Believe it or not some bootup floppy's don't have "Format.com" on the root, and are held in a cab file. Can you do a "Dir" of the floppy.

3. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Don't exit fdisk when you type that command. At the DOS prompt, simlpy type "format c:" without the quotes and select Yes to continue.

4. syb

syb Thread Starter

Hi Dirk

It wont read the A drive (went in to BIOS and changed the boot sequence) so we booted up using Windows 98 CD..
    It wont write to the A drive either...I do have a 98 boot disk created but it wont read it!
    I attempted to extract format.com but its telling me that A> is write protected and it keeps failing!

5. syb

syb Thread Starter

Tried that too Tush...but still telling me bad command and file name

6. Tushman

Tushman Banned

syb, verify a couple things for me.

First go into your BIOS and see if it recognizes the floppy drive. I'm gonna assume you know how to do that already.

Then if it does, go into the fdisk menu and selection option 4 from main menu, where you can view all the existing partitions and post that infomration here.

7. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

You might go HERE and get a new boot disc for win 98, perhaps you have a bad floppy, worth a try...Rhett

8. syb

syb Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions....

I've managed to get it formatting using the Windows 98 set up CD....I'll keep you posted on how it goes!
    so far so good!:D

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Next time you need a boot disk, try Bootdisk.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/108299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice