Clueless!!! XP Setup Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jiggarome

Hi all, this is my first post!

I have a problem which I should have prevented but was too impatient.

Firstly here are my system specs:

200 GB Samsung SP2014N Hard Disc
AMD Sempron 3400 (2GH)
1GB RAM
Radean 9600 Pro Graphics Card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card

I had NTL broadband installed today at my home. The software installation wouldnt work so the person on tech helpline said I should reinstall windows or just internet explorer.

After failing to re instal IE, I tired to reinstall but XP got stuck at 34 percent for about 7 hours so I had to reatart my pc. ON each restart it kept tellin me to resume the setup and then stopped at the same 34 percent stage. I tried booting form cd and installing but no luck! I have information on the drive that I need so a format/full install is out of the question!

I do have a smaller older 40GB back up drive that I am using now. I booted from the cd and installed xp on my back up hard drive (formating it in the process, i kno it was stupid).

The main problem now is that I can not access my files on my main hard drive because i get an error message saying "access denied".

If I sonehow could copy the important files onto my 40G back up drive , I could format the main 200gb hard drive and then do a clean install of windows. But this is proving difficult because of the said reasons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Please ask me if you need any more info or if you have any advice at all.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online