1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clueless!!! XP Setup Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jiggarome, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiggarome

Jiggarome Thread Starter

Hi all, this is my first post!

I have a problem which I should have prevented but was too impatient.

Firstly here are my system specs:

200 GB Samsung SP2014N Hard Disc
    AMD Sempron 3400 (2GH)
    1GB RAM
    Radean 9600 Pro Graphics Card
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card

I had NTL broadband installed today at my home. The software installation wouldnt work so the person on tech helpline said I should reinstall windows or just internet explorer.

After failing to re instal IE, I tired to reinstall but XP got stuck at 34 percent for about 7 hours so I had to reatart my pc. ON each restart it kept tellin me to resume the setup and then stopped at the same 34 percent stage. I tried booting form cd and installing but no luck! I have information on the drive that I need so a format/full install is out of the question!

I do have a smaller older 40GB back up drive that I am using now. I booted from the cd and installed xp on my back up hard drive (formating it in the process, i kno it was stupid).

The main problem now is that I can not access my files on my main hard drive because i get an error message saying "access denied".

If I sonehow could copy the important files onto my 40G back up drive , I could format the main 200gb hard drive and then do a clean install of windows. But this is proving difficult because of the said reasons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Please ask me if you need any more info or if you have any advice at all.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!