1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Clunky flash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeD., Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

Money is not the problem. The problem is I don't like waste. To throw good things out that are still useable seems to be the American way anymore. All I use this computer for is doing some imaging work and some little gif animations. So far more adding ram has never let me down. I have 128MB now. This thing started out with 16MB!!! But every once in awhile some web site will be a big flash site or game and the graphics become clunky. I know this thing is getting a bit small if it has troubles running things over the web. I have a 233 mhz PII MMX with an 8MB Voodoo3 video card. I am wondering if I bought ram for this thing one more time say like 500MB more, would that be sufficient enough for the kind of things I do. Or would it be throwing money away? And would a say P4 2.4 be THAT much better? I have a cable connection too. Thanks in advanced.

2. McTimson

McTimson

Adding that much more RAM would be somewhat pointless for that system, because then the CPU would be a major bottleneck. Not to mention the motherboard probably doesn't support that much RAM. If you were to get a new processor, whether it be a P4 or a P3, then you would also have to get a new motherboard, as your current one would not support anything other than a P2. And then, if you were to get a new motherboard, then chances are, you would have to get new RAM as well. So basically, you would be upgrading the entire system.

3. Rockn

Rockn

The PC probably won't even support adding another 500MB of memory. My guess would be that it is using PC100 or 133 EDO memory. Upgrading to 500MB would also more than likely cost you more than upgrading to say and Athlon XP 1900 with 256MB of DDR memory. You can use your hard drives and video car and save a little money until you can upgrade at least the video card.

4. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

I get sentemental. I'll hate to see her go. The stocks are on their way up now. It might be soon!!!!!!!!! Farewell old friend.

5. McTimson

McTimson

You could always just use it as a backup rig or something...or as an experimental thing if you ever wanted to try overclocking or stuff like that.

6. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

now you said it overclocking!!!!!!! where do i find out what's safe overclocking? and how to do it.

7. McTimson

McTimson

:D

Careful, you might get addicted rather quickly....

http://www.overclockers.com is a very useful site, especially the forums, most of the info is in the forums.

8. JoeD.

JoeD. Thread Starter

naww justa little shouldn't hurt.. but thanks for the suggestions about experienting with the ol girl........ i've always wanted to have a smaller OS on it...... might be enuff speed there!!!!!! thanks again

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166466

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice