1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMD.EXE ERROR MESSAGE "Edit is unable to create or access the specified file"

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by fhamilton, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fhamilton

fhamilton Thread Starter

I have a Dell Pentium 4 (1.7MH) running Windows XP SP-2. When I trie and save a file from the command prompt using an application such as a text editor, or word processor (dos based) I received the above message. There is a box (from MS Edit) with buttons "retry" "cancel" "help". I clicked on help and this information was displayed:

Edit is unable to create or access the specified file, which might be due to the following reasons:

» You may be trying to create or write to a file on a drive that is read-only, such as a CD-ROM or a read-only network drive.
    » You may be trying to overwrite a file that is read-only.
    » You may be trying to access a file that is locked by another user or program.
    » You may be trying to read or write to a directory name.

The situation is this: I can only save a file if I rename that file (using save as.) I've made sure that this happens with or without long file names. I've have 3 hard drive installed and the same thing happens on all the drives and in root and sub directories. I've used different DOS based programs in CMD.EXE console including MS Edit; Wordperfect 5.1; and PEDIT (among others) all showing the same behavior.

There is no problem in Windows based programs. I have not changed my environment variables, etc. The behavior was sudden and it's still continuing.

I must rename the file in order for it to be saved, then copy it at the prompt to the file name that I really want. I've never seen this behavior.

I have ran an antivirus program (AVG) among others with no hits. I have reset the command console to its default settings with no results. It cannot be the drive as this behavior is across all three hard drive (2 internal and 1 external).

I hope you can help. I have a sinking feeling I will have to repair the installation of Windows XP :( or worse yet reinstall. I uses my command console all the time for a lot of small but important things.

Thank you for whatever you can come up with.

fhamilton

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You need to enclose the entire path and file name in quotes if there are any spaces in the path or file name.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Have you tried doing a system restore?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/669852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice