1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMD not found

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by garyduel, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Hello people with nouce
    I was wandering if anyone could explain to me (step by simplistic step) how to install a program from the laptop itself (linpus linux lite v1.0.3.E) I try to use cmd 's in the terminal(am i in the correct place???), and i am constantly told "Command not found" or "file or directory not found" or "command Refused".
    I just want to install foe example Banshee-1-1.2.1
    And have only today found out how to open an exec.file(excuse my incorrect computer abbrev.s and language) ...So i open the file with mouse pad to view all the details but can not adjust anything as i need to be ROOT.....I assume i have to be in the terminal to do this but then how do i get back to that file to adjust, and how do i tell my laptop to install something that is on its file system and NOT on the net????????
    I know this is verging on 2 different issues but i am a simpleton with Linux to the extreme, i mean as basic as basic comes Neanderthal!! Help please

2. SilentTim

SilentTim

Hi,

Can you give me an example of the commands you are trying to run where it says command not found?

For example, just open a terminal and at the command prompt, type:

Code:
    ls -ltr

and post the results here.

Another thing I'd like is if you could do the following:

Code:
    echo $PATH

and post the results here and we'll see if you have the correct path to your executables

3. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Thanks Tim
    I'll get on it and get back to you
    cheers

gary

4. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

tim this was the response
    /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/acer/bin:/sbin/:/usr/sbin/:/home/user/bin:/usr/acer/bin

And ls-ltr
    was
    :Command not found

Hope you can see whats going on

regards

gary

5. SilentTim

SilentTim

Gary,

just to check, when you did the ls, did you do it exactly as shown below:

Code:
    ls -ltr

ie, with the space before the hyphen? Perhaps even more simplistically, just do an ls:

Code:
    ls

When you report back here, its always best to enclose the response in code tags (See above) as this shows us exactly how it was, like in the terminal.

Also, can you tell us what linux distro and version you are using and also the other commands you were trying to run when you kept getting command refused?

6. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Tim
    its linpus linux lite 1.0.3.E
    and i put the space in and got a response (dont know how to copy files in terminal ,it wont let me); also while at it when i do want to change a file it says Cant open file to write, and then if i go ROOT it opens another box so i copy and paste ...adjust and then i have to files and cant delete the original, it wont let me ..all this effort to get an icon on desktop ...gee wizz

7. SilentTim

SilentTim

Gary, don't lose heart, its probably fairly easy to do, I'm just trying to get a picture of what your system is. Have to say I've never heard of this Linpus distro, but it shouldn't affect terminal commands.

From your last two responses, it doesn't seem there is any problem with your terminal as it recognises basic commands. Whats more likely is when trying to install stuff you aren't using the right commands, so can you post here how you're trying to install stuff?

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

What icon?

For a program, I just go in the menu, r-click>add item to desktop.

9. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Tim...Install banshee-1-1.2.1 (this is what i type in)
    Rootbear.... firefox and vlc icons, believe i need them to be 90 x 90
    And also to you both if i want to delete something how do you do that ...I go to a file highlight it but dont get given the option to delete , have tried highlight and then keyboard delete, shift delete, drag and drop to trash, but all to no avail...oHH alas i am forgone

10. SilentTim

SilentTim

I think I'm going to have to bow out of this one now. I've never used Linpus before and so don't really have the experience for it. The only thing I would say is 'install' isn't a valid shell command in any shell I've used, more often its something like

Code:
    rpm -i

for Fedora and on Ubuntu you use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get

So whether 'install' is valid or not on linpus, I don't really know. I assume there must be a way to do it through the GUI, but not being familiar with linpus, I wouldn't know.

As for removing things, through the shell, you need to navigate to the correct place and then do:
    Code:
    rm -i [i]filename[/i]

but again, I'm sure there is probably some way of doing that through the GUI.

My advice to you now would be to find a linpus specific forum and try asking there. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

11. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

I appreciate all efforts thank you Tim

will try these cmds and see how i go, but again
    Thank you for your time

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

To delete,
    right-click>delete.

Attached Files:

13. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

14. garyduel

garyduel Thread Starter

Thanks rootbear
    went to the article but as mentioned in it they have taken some of the cmd's out of it which is what is causing me mega dramas ,i'm working offshore where the download of anything is about 5kb/s so as you can appreciate i'm up the creek without a paddle as i cant access websites that could help to alleviate my probs....A common response from everything i try is the subject of this thread and trying to find the correct install cmd's without using "yum" which i think is to go to the net(as i dont have a connection, oonly through ship's public terminal) is not helping , bugger!!!!!!!

15. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I tried getting on Linpus site, seems to be under construction.

Rereading your first post, you seem to be trying to install a program that is already on PC and not downloading it from the net.

That is new to me. I have to either download from net or download complete repository and burn to DVDs'.

I would be inclined to tell you to get another distro, but at 5KB/s...

Your location doesn't make snail mail much of an option either.

Right clicking a program doesn't give option to add to desktop?

Dig through your applications menu hard looking for Banshee. It may have been categorized wrong.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice