1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cmd not working properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sher1983, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sher1983

sher1983 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm using win xp, sp1. When I go to start>run and type in something like cmd to open the dos prompt I see the window come up but it goes away after a second. the same thing happens when i type in regedit. now if I type in cmd.exe or regedit.exe it will work.

Another problem I assume is in the same category is when I get to the dos prompt and try to ping a site it won't do anything just go back to the c: prompt. If i type in ipconfig or do an nslookup it will work tho.

Not sure what to do here or what else to try. Any advice would be great.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Download pocket killbox from http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/killbox.exe & put it on the desktop where you can find it easily

now Start killbox paste the first file listed below into the full pathname and file to delete box

The file name will appear in the window and if the file exists it will appear in blue under that window then select standard file kill, press the red X button, say yes to the prompt and once the file deleted message comes up then repeat for each file in turn

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CMD.COM
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\netstat.com
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ping.com
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedit.com
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\tasklist.com
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.com
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\tracert.com

3. sher1983

sher1983 Thread Starter

Excellent! It worked! thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!