CMON/GPNV Checksum Bad

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vandamsel

Hello :)

I've been having a bit of a major problem with my PC and wondered if anyone here could help,

Basicly, When i start my PC up, just before it detects all my drives etc it says

'CMOS/GPNV checksum bad
Press F1 To Enter Setup
Press F2 To Load Defaults And Continue'

If i press F1 to enter setup, i see no possible cure for the problem in my BIOS. If i press F2 to continue, my PC will boot up ok, but my mouse doesnt work (PS/2) and navigating with TAB/ALT/NUMPAD gets pretty old :rolleyes:

Possible cures people have suggested that i have already tryed are:

Replace CMOS Battery (y)
Check BIOS chip and CMOS battery are seated correctly (y)
Check RAM is seated correctly (y)

I have done all of the above and still get the problem. Any ideas?

Heres the techincal jargen:

PROCESSOR: P3 650Mhz
RAM: 384 MB DIMM
MainBoard: MS6178 v:1.1
BIOS: AMIBIOS HIFLEX SETUP UTILITY V:1.22

P.S: Investing in a USB/SERIAL Mouse isn't the answer, im broke :p haha

Thanks in advance for any help with this!!

vandamsel

I've made a little bit of progress with this problem..

When i press F1 to enter the setup, if i ENABLE 'System BIOS Cacheable' Then windows will boot up fine *Moves mouse around screen in celebration* :D But as soon as i reboot/shutdown my PC, 'System BIOS Cacheable' Has gone back to DISABLE. :eek: and i get the error message...

Now, this is the question that needs answering, why isnt it saving my BIOS settings when i have just replaced my CMOS battery? It seems to be keeping the time ok. Im very confised.

Who has any ideas?

Thanks Again,

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online