1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS at boot up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jeiara, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeiara

Jeiara Thread Starter

Hello, i'm the kid in the house that uses the comp the most(meaning my parents don't know much about computers and expect me to know everything heh) and been searching all kinds of forums to solve my problem. So, if you could be really detailed and have step by step type instructions i'd appreciate it. :)

Strange thing started to happen a few days ago. When I boot up my comp (uses Windows 95) i go into the CMOS utility (i didn't know what i was looking at till i found a picture of it in a manuel). I look and see that it thinks i have no hard drives installed... everything else looks ok though.

Here's the problem part (i think) what i see:

Primary IDE Master: Not Installed
    Primary IDE Slave: Not Installed
    Secondary IDE Master: Not Installed
    Secondary IDE Master: Not Installed

when i go into one of them, it's set to auto detect but don't see anything else

When I go to the Exit options menu I see:

Exit Saving changes
    Exit Discarding changes

Load setup defaults
    Discard changes

and off the right side there is:
    F5 Setup Defaults
    F6 Previous Values
    F10 Save and Exit

I really didn't know what to do, so decided that I would 'exit discarding changes' cuz i didn't what to screw anything up. Though, everytime i boot up, it takes me to the CMOS thingy. I asked a couple of friends. They said to check the date and if it's wrong the battery could be failing. The date is current when I checked it. Somebody else suggested I 'exit saving changes' cuz something might've been corrupted and another said i should do the F5... so i'm rather clueless and don't know what i should do. though, i think i will ask my dad to buy a new battery. should i keep selecting 'exit disgarding changes' till i get a new battery or what?

Also in another forum, one guy suggested:
    When you switch on the computer appear a black screen with white text. Look carefully for the word “
    Detecting Primary IDE Master :
    Detecting Primary IDE Slave :
    Detecting Secondary IDE Master :
    Detecting Secondary IDE Slave :

If the computer didn’t detect anything means hard disk is not connected properly. Open the cover and reconnect every wire that connects the computer with the hard disk one by one. When you are done, switch on the computer and look whether the computer detect your hard disk.

Well, I reboot my computer and madly scribble what i see (and hear):

1) Black Screen

2) New Screen some white text video something etc
    Plug and Play Moniter Detected

3) New Screen
    Gateway Logo
    0xxxxxx KB Pentium II with MMX (tm) technology

Entering Setup - Please Wait..... (before it usually said something like Press F1 to enter setup)

Keyboard...Detected
    Mouse...Detected

(at this screen i hear mad clicking sounds)

5) New Screen

Setting up HD on 1st IDE Port
    Setting up HD on 2nd IDE Port

Quantum Fireball ST6.4A LBA 6xxxx MB
    D1 Not Detected
    D2 Not Detected
    D3 Not Detected

IDE Bus Master Enabled

6) New Screen
    CMOS utility (comp is beeping like crazy, stops beeping when i hit an arrow key)

I don't know if my F1 key is sticky and don't know how to test if it is since we don't have another keyboard.
    what's my options/best thing to do?

2. brianF

brianF

Sounds like it would be worth a shot to change the battery.
    Doubt that the keyboard is bad, you would get an error message about stuck key.

It finally does see you hard drive.

Never seen one that would boot into setup like that, my only though it is a warning about low battery.

What happens when you exit setup does it just repeat or does it finally load.

Any other devices connected to the ide channels besides the hard drive

Before you pull the battery note any other settings in the cmos screens. You may need to reset them afterward.

3. RandyG

RandyG

Welcome to TSG!

Does your system boot normally after exiting Setup? or does it continuously go back into setup?

Your system is detecting your HDD, as your point #5 states
    which means that your 6.8 GB HDD is being detected.

Were you trying to Flash your BIOS recently? and is there a Floppy disk still in your FDD?

When was the last time you ran an updated virus checker?

It would be handy if you could borrow a neighbors keyboard for a few minutes, just to determine if it is a problem with it, but you could always go out and buy a cheap $10 keyboard. If you haven't bought a new keyboard since 97-98, then it wouldn't be a total loss to buy one. The beeping could definitely be due to a stuck key. I would think that is the first thing to check, as it seems to be the most obvious cause of the problem.

While you are in setup, look for BIOS Version, and list what it is there. the BIOS prefix will look something like EA81510A.15A.005.P03 or 4W4SB0X0.15A.0019.P14 or 0AAVW P02 or 1.00.01.CN0T

Not necessarily exactly like these but you should get the idea. I can check to see if there is an update to your BIOS, and loading that might also fix the problem.

I seriously suggest you try a different keyboard first, though.

4. Jeiara

Jeiara Thread Starter

yes, it does boot normal after i exit setup

another thing i found is, when it's at the screen with the logo and i hit an arrow key then, the clicking sounds stop and so when i get to the cmos setup thing, the computer isn't beeping then.

i'll ask my dad, to borrow a keyboard at his work maybe.

5. Jeiara

Jeiara Thread Starter

I don't know what a BIOS is or how to Flash one... and whats a FDD? If your asking if there's a floppy in the drive, there isn't one.

6. Jeiara

Jeiara Thread Starter

ok, rebooted again, it says BIOS Version 1.00.01.DT0T

7. RandyG

RandyG

The thing about pushing the arrow key stopping the clicking lead me to suggest using the alternate keyboard. It doesn't have to be a stuck key, but could be a bad signal sent from the keyboard to the system. A different keyboard might fix it, but as Brian suggested, it may be the battery. His recommendation is no less valid than my own, and truth be told, I value and repect his knowledge. Just because I happen to think it is the keyboard does not mean that I am right

Sorry for inserting "technologese" in my post. I took shortcuts their that I shouldn't have. FDD is short for Floppy Disk Drive, and you are correct in what I was asking. As to the BIOS, it is the software that governs what you see in your Setup, or the CMOS that you referred to. You upgrade the BIOS by "Flashing" it with a downloadable BIOS update that is on a floppy disk during boot. Having an incorrect version of your BIOS on a floppy could have caused it to become "corrupt" or faulty.

As to the BIOS you listed, I thought you said you had a Gateway computer? Actually, you listed out what happened during your boot sequence, and stated in point #3 "Gateway Logo".

The BIOS you gave me is not listed as a Gateway BIOS. It's close, but Gateway had "1.00.01.CN0T " and "1.00.04.DI0T " as the closest things to what you posted. Is it possible that you misread it? Actually, I did a search, and found that reference over in Japan for a Gateway system, Pentium 266. I can't find it on the US Gateway site, though, and with their downsizing, you won't find much over in Japan, even if you could understand the characters.

http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html has some great utilities for finding your exact BIOS info, and telling you if there is an update avaialable. It isn't very useful if you have a Gateway BIOS, though, as those updates can only come from Gateway.

If you do have a US Gateway machine, then go to http://www.gateway.com/support/drivers/output.asp?txtFileName=gtwupd.exe and try their Gateway Update utility to see if you need any updated drivers, etc.

Come back and let us know if the different keyboard worked, or if you put in a new battery. I still feel that the keyboard will sort it out.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you come out of the bios, try saving your changes......then reboot.....does the same thing happen?

9. Jeiara

Jeiara Thread Starter

actually it is a 266 gateway, checked the BIOS Version again, and thats the right one.

i'll work on getting an alternate keyboard. till then, should i keep doing the 'exit discard changes' option or do a 'save changes' one?

10. brianF

brianF

My opinion is to enter, save changes, and see what happens. Your not changing anything so it really will just save what is already there

Anyone else wanna venture an opinion

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I already voted :)

Can't hurt!

12. RandyG

RandyG

I also agree that it's worth a try.

I must have been dreaming, because I thought you already said you tried that once.

Looking back over your first post I see that somebody suggested you do that, and I misread it.:eek:

13. Jeiara

Jeiara Thread Starter

ok, well i did it 'exit saving changes' . then it rebooted and same things happened.

14. RandyG

RandyG

I still think it's a keyboard thing. The constant beeping until you hit another key suggests that to me. If you hit any other key besides the arrow key, will it stop it beeping to?

I'll wait to hang my head when you tell me you tried another keyboard, and it still doesn't work.:D

15. Jeiara

Jeiara Thread Starter

hehe okay, if i can't borrow one, i'll probably have to buy one, i think they don't cost too much. like ten dollars or less ? gee, what i always wanted for x-mas... :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice