1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS battery/BIOS problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tenbels, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tenbels

tenbels Thread Starter

I've seen a few problems like mine on the boards but never a satisfactory resolution. My problem started with a frozen screen. I did have a few windows open and i was listening to music and surfing at the time. Upon restart case light came on, M/B power light came on, fans on psu, cpu and graphics card all spun up as well as hard drive, but no post beep. Long story short is that I have done everything recommended on various forums, like resetting the Cmos via the jumpers, taking out the CMOS battery, leaving the CMOS battery out overnight, new CMOS battery, changing the PSU etc. and am now at the stage where I have the M/B stripped out of the case on the workbench with just the psu, one stick of memory, Graphics card, Hard drive, mouse and keyboard. Strange thing is computer WILL post with default Bios settings when CMOS battery removed, go through bios setup routine, launch Windows and run perfectly normally. But as soon as I put the battery back, nothing, no post beep, nothing, just spinning fans and no display. Has the Bios Chip got corrupted? The battery clip does look firmly soldered to the M/B and is not bent. I am at a loss. Can't RMA the M/B as its an Ebay job. All the Caps look sound. Is it worth replacing the BIOS chip as they're fairly cheap or is the M/B toast?? Does anyone know anything elseI can try??

System is:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-E
    Bios: Phoenix Tech. Ltd AWARD BIOS ACPI rev.1013
    PSU: CIT 750W ATX Power Supply
    CPU: Athlon64 3500+
    Graphics Card: Radeon HD4670
    Hard drive: 750GB WD Caviar Green

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Double check and make sure the cmos clear jumper is in
    the run/normal position.
    Leaving it in the clear position can cause no boot.

3. tenbels

tenbels Thread Starter

Hi leroys1000, jumper is O.K. Its just as I say, you take the battery out computer boots and runs fine, albeit with default BIOS settings but as soon as battery is put back. . .nothing!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would put money on a failing board. Those boards are going on 6+ yrs old now. Have you checked the board carefully for any leaking capacitors?

5. tenbels

tenbels Thread Starter

Hi crjdriver, Yup, checked the board thoroughly for bloaty/leaky capacitors and all of 'em look sound. Surely a dodgy cap wouldn't explain why the computer boots and runs completely normally without the battery tho'? One thing as well, it won't reboot once running, you have to shut down completely and start from scratch.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Bad caps can cause all types of problems; depending on where they are located. A board should boot without a cmos battery however when doing so, it also gives errors. When you install the battery, I would assume another part of the board becomes active [possibly with a bad cap or failed VR]

In any case, that board is very old by modern standards and it is not worth putting any money into that old of a system.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice