cmos battery problem in hp laptop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobcbold

I have an HP Pavillion ze4900 laptop only about a year old that will not keep the accurate time when it is turned off. It also seems to lose settings for some programs (bookmarks in the web browser and passwords and settings in other programs). It keeps good time while it is on but resets back to 12 a.m. Jan. 1 2004 after shutdown, so I don't think its a problem with the real time clock. I checked with HP Support and they recommended a bios updgrade, which I did. I even did a clean reinstallation of Win XP Home Edition SP2 but neither solved the problem.

We've had this problem ever since we got the computer. I suspect it is a bad cmos battery and I've read elsewhere that its not uncommon for these laptops to come of the assembly line with bad cmos batteries. Does this sound right?

I've changed cmos batteries in desktops but not in a laptop. I downloaded the service manual but there's nothing in it about changing the cmos battery. I believe I read somewhere that you need to remove the keyboard to get to it. Once the keyboard is out is it just unplugging the old battery and installing the new one or do you have more parts to remove to get to it? What should I expect to spend for a new cmos battery? I haven't had much luck finding any on the Internet.

We have about three weeks until the warranty is up, so should I just send it back to HP and hope they can fix it? Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Good Morning Bob, these batteries should last at least eighteen months, although your description would appear to be a battery problem it is a little premature.
There is a possibility that some element of the clock and CMOS circuit could have some problem and is using excessive current thus producing this effect.
Some of these battery holders also can break when an unknowing person tries to remove a battery, some can be quite tricky.
It would therefore make more sense to return the machine for warranty repair.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online