1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cmos battery replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by melias, Aug 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melias

melias Thread Starter

i have a 486 with a dead cmos battery. i have several new batteries of the rectangular, removable type (stuck in there with velcro), but this one is soldered in. is it possible to plug in a rectangular one and just leave the dead, soldered-in one there? thanks!

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

it's possible, but don't do it. The dead battery will just kill the new one. You need to unsolder the old one and then either solder a new one in or solder a battery holder in and put the battery in the holder. that way when you have to change the battery in the future, all you would have to do is just take it out. If you don't know how to solder or don't want to take a chance, either practice and learn or have someone do it for you. Also you don't have to use the same physical size battery, you just have to have the correct type, voltage, and capacity as the one in there now.

3. melias

melias Thread Starter

thanks, shadow. i don't have soldering equipment...i don't suppose i could just RIP the old one out. i haven't looked into one of the 486s with the removeable batteries to see what they're plugged into, but i'm wondering if there's a slot in all of them (or is that what you meant by "solder in a battery holder"). thanks.
    ~melias

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

on my motherboard, I have a cmos batter holder. I just slide the clip to the side and then I can remove the battery. Since your MB doesn't have this and you battery is just soldered in, you can buy a battery holder similar to one on a new motherboard and solder that to the + and - of where the battery would go. Then your motherboard would have a battery holder and you could then just place the newer battery in the holder. It's not difficlut, but you have to know what you are doing. However, you can go to radio shack and pick up a 15/35 watt soldering iron, some flux, and some solder and do it yourself and you have practiced on something else first. You could get a solder sucker too to help clean up any excess solder on the motherboard batter tabs before you solder in the battery. If you don't care on doing it the correct way, you at least need to get the old battery and connect the new one securely however you choose.

What are the numbers on the battery? The one soldered into the MB.

5. melias

melias Thread Starter

i think i will go pick up a solder gun! i'm in a school and have pretty much free rein with the old 486s because nobody knows what works and what doesn't, and i can practice on this one. is there a webpage somewhere with pictures showing what to solder and where? i don't know what the battery numbers are (i'm at home), but i hope the new, removeable ones work, as they were about $15 apiece. they have wires and a little flat connector that goes into a slot on the motherboard, and they stick to the inside of the case with velcro.
    thanks a lot for your help, shadow.
    ~melias

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

7. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Just a couple of word of advice.
    1. Use a small pencil type soldering device, usually cheap at Radio Shack or some electronics store.
    2. When you unsolder the battery, position the computer so that any melted hot solder that may fall will not land on anything important such as the motherboard, memory, skin etc... If you can get someone to help have them hold the case so that if a blob falls, it fall out of the case.
    3. If you cant get in to unsolder the old one, you could alway cut the wire of as close to each end of the old battery as possible. Then when resoldering, if you end up placing a battery in without a holder, you can solder a longer piece of wire to each one on the motherboard. This is done by taking a piece of wire, stripping of the insulation, and heating up the bare metal and dabbing a small amount of solder to the hot wire. It should melt into the braded wire. Do this to both ends. When you have the new battey soldered to the wires you just preped, you then can simply touch the wire to the one on the motherboard, apply heat until it melts, hold it in place(resist the disire to blow on it) and let it cool slowly. A good solder connection will be shinney. When done, carefully wrap the exposed areas in electricial tape.
    4. You should be able to find out what battery voltage is needed either in the owners manual or by searching for info on the computer at:
    http://www.google.com
    Make sure you match the voltage exactly, too little could cause wierd problems and too much may burn out the cmos chip.

8. melias

melias Thread Starter

many thanks, paul and shadow. i've printed it all out and will give it a try.
    ~nancy

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/52218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice