1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS battery will not hold Bios settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

i have a refurbished MSI K7N2 Delta-L mobo, got it from newegg, so i guess that would explain why...
    every time i completely unplug my pc from the wall, i get the "cmos checksum error- defaults loaded, press F1 to continue". i thought it was just a bad cmos battery, but after having replaced it 4 times now with new ones, i don't think that's it anymore. i know i am installing the battery correctly, and the jumper cap is in the correct position, i have checked and rechecked the manual to be sure. is this maybe just due to a little bad wiring somewhere on the mobo?

2. WarC

WarC

Have you tried updating your BIOS?

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

yes, i have the most recent bios update from MSI...

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

A long shot., but replace that jumper. I have known a couple that have been faulty and not made the proper contact that have given that problem.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

You might also leave it on fow a few straight days. If the motherboard has been sitting on a shelf awhile, the battery tends to need a bit of charging. It's best to always leave a new build on overnight for this reason.

6. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

also check to see if the terminals to the battery are touching

7. pronute

pronute

The motherboard does not recharge the CMOS Battery.

Kerri Ann pull the motherboard out and check for a cold solder joint directly under the battery cradle if you find one replace the joint. This is a common fault in some motherboards however 99% of these defects are found and rejected by the manufactures QA department you just got the one that got away. And in case your wondering a cold solder joint can work for years or just secounds, then fail compleatly without any warning.

8. ckbrown

ckbrown

Pronute

Don't you mean reflow the solder on the battery cradle leads? just trying to clarify my vision...

9. pronute

pronute

yes suck the bad solder out with a solder wick and resolder
    This statement is interchangable with replace the joint.
    and yes I should have stated replace the cold solder joint but I type with two fingers and one of them is blind:eek:

10. ckbrown

ckbrown

dude
    yur o ahd of e my 2 gos an cms

11. pronute

pronute

24 to go

12. ckbrown

ckbrown

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/238875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice