1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS Battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dominic, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominic

Dominic Thread Starter

I Have an old 166 Pentiun computer with a i430vx mainboard. My problem is that the CMOS battery is dying and from what I could find on the net, it is enclosed in a discontinued Houston Tech HT12888A RTC chip. Some of the info on the internet says that you can open the chip and change the battery though it may be soldered in place and other sources say to replace the motherboard. Also will an add in card containing a clock also power the CMOS. I leave the computer on all the time and it runs fine but when I shut it down and reboot I lose time and have started getting a checksum error/CMOS battery failed message. I have another computer and would like to give this to my son and would hate to scrap a good machine for a $3.00 battery. Any info on this problem would be greatly appriciated.

2. Anti-Intel

Anti-Intel

Well I could understand not wanting to scrap the system due to a battery. There are several options you could look in to. 1. you could purchase a new mother board( for under $100) install it and actually have expansion room for later, or 2. You could scrap the system and keep it to use its parts as test parts or replacement parts for another computer. If it was me that faced this problem I'd look at a new motherboard first maybe you could even find a good used one.

3. Dominic

Dominic Thread Starter

Thanks Anti-Intel I'm looking into a new board, though someone suggested that I try to solder a battery (piggyback) to the same leads that the old one is on. My other computer is a laptop so parts are no good but I am thinking of getting a new machine. I would like to give it to my kid to play around on, so anyone with any other suggestions are appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice