CMOS Check Sum Error on Startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moonlightmem

When I reboot my computer, I get the following comment:
CMOS Check Sum Error - Defaults Loaded
The computer has entered safe mode. Press PF1 to bypass and continue.
What is the problem, if any, with this routine everytime I reboot?
Is there something I can do to correct this?
I am using Windows 2000 Professional
:rolleyes:

bearone2

Banned
if you bypass are the day/date correct?

if not you may need a cmos battery, #2032.
it's the size of a quarter and easy to replace from any place with batteries, drug/grocery store for $2.

a computer store will whack you $10.

To remedy the problem you have been experiencing with your CMOS, you will need to replace the CMOS battery.

This is a relatively easy task to do. You will need to open up the computer so you can get your hands on the battery.

The battery is a button battery that resembles a watch battery, but a little bigger. Most are the size of a quarter. The battery will be in a special spot on the motherboard. Observe the battery and go to the store and buy an identical battery before removing the old one. I buy CMOS batteries at the drugstore's battery section quite often.

Be sure when removing the old battery, you don't bend the clip that holds the battery in, or the new battery will not make good contact.

Replacing the CMOS battery will return your system to what it used to be before the CMOS battery wore out.

Please have a look at the following URL for more info on the CMOS Battery:

http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

bearone2

Banned
pcfixerbob said:
To remedy the problem you have been experiencing with your CMOS, you will need to replace the CMOS battery.

This is a relatively easy task to do. You will need to open up the computer so you can get your hands on the battery.

The battery is a button battery that resembles a watch battery, but a little bigger. Most are the size of a quarter. The battery will be in a special spot on the motherboard. Observe the battery and go to the store and buy an identical battery before removing the old one. I buy CMOS batteries at the drugstore's battery section quite often.

Be sure when removing the old battery, you don't bend the clip that holds the battery in, or the new battery will not make good contact.

Replacing the CMOS battery will return your system to what it used to be before the CMOS battery wore out.

Please have a look at the following URL for more info on the CMOS Battery:

http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp
i was just wondering if you looked at post #2 before you replied.:cool:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online