1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS checksum error, computer freezes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SallyB, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SallyB

SallyB Thread Starter

Hi everybody
    Hope someone can help me with this. I have an older computer running windows 95 that started having problems keeping time. I figured I had to replace the battery, which I did and I am now getting an error message "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded" at this point the computer freezes and the keyboard is dead. The lights on the keyboard do flash once during bootup, but it is never responsive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. IMM

IMM

I don't know what you will actually have to set up in that bios - but start this way. Enter the bios on the boot (possibly by hitting the delete key). When you get there load the setup defaults (possibly the optimal ones if available).
    On the first page set the clock correctly as well as setting the drives auto and indicating which type of floppy you have.
    If there is an option in the PnP/PCI section to "reset configuration data" (or update ESCD or NVRAM) - turn it on.
    If there is an entry in that same section which is labeled "PnP aware OS installed" (or similar) - set it to yes.
    Now SAVE and exit.

Does it boot more normally now?

To know what settings should really be set in the bios - I'd need a hardware installed list as well as the moptherboard make and model.
    If the above doesn't get you booting - you could try removing the cables from the HD and booting with a floppy. There is a possiblility that the drive was installed with a older type of DDO (dynamic drive overlay) which required setting certain heads, cylinders etc. for it - but let's cross that bridge if we come to it.

3. SallyB

SallyB Thread Starter

Sorry but that doesn't work because I can't enter the bios on the boot - the keyboard doesn't work either.
    After it gets to the error message the entire computer is frozen.
    Even during the boot up before it gets to the message the keyboard is dead.

4. IMM

IMM

Try draining the CMOS memory using the jumper on the motherboard.

5. SallyB

SallyB Thread Starter

Thanks IMM for your time and help. My problem ended up having a simple (and embarrassing) solution. When I had reconnected my mouse and keyboard, I got the cables switched. Now that everything is connected correctly I am up and running again. The best thing about this problem was discovering this web site and knowing there are people out there willing to help.
    Thanks!:)

6. IMM

IMM

Thought about that one - I've seen it before, but I didn't want to sound patronizing :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice