1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS checksum error with a partially working keyboard, help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wrad3, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wrad3

wrad3 Thread Starter

On startup, my computer gives me the CMOS checksum error- Defaults loaded. I can press f1 to continue and DEL to enter setup, but my keyboard with a ps2 connection has partial control with only the delete, escape, scroll lock, and numblock keys working, at least to my knowledge. I can press delete to get into the bios, but i cannot control anything from there. I have also tried another keyboard with a usb connection and got the same results meaning that the problem does not lie with the keyboard.

To fix the problem, i have replaced the bios battery and also reset the CMOS using the jumpers. This obviously didnt work as i would not be posting this. I know that if i can somehow communicate with the bios, i can set it to stop "halt on error".

I am currently using a p5n- d ASUS motherboard and from what ive read my other specs shouldent be necessary, though if you would like them i will gladly provide them.

Please offer any suggestions before I consider replacing the motherboard.

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

Is this the first time you have trouble with this? It seems your computer EEPROM has been damaged. Probably due to touching with your hands without being ESD discharged.

3. wrad3

wrad3 Thread Starter

Yes, this is the first time. I was afraid that that might be the reason. I touch the sides of the case to discharge the static but Im pretty sure you should wear some kind of gloves to fully prevent the discharge. I'm assuming that theres nothing I can do to fix the problem other than buying a new motherboard?

4. nikomaster

nikomaster

I am afraid if the memory's cells are damaged you have either change the mother board or replace the BIOS.

Just a tip..to fully discharge your self wear conductive shoes or no shoes at all on a conductive floor without any carpet...my experience I have worked on electronic manufacture.

5. wrad3

wrad3 Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, ill be sure to do that next time I start messing around my computer.

I do have a question, when you mean replace the BIOS, do you mean replace the physical chip or just replace it using a flash?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If this problem started before you opened the case then it wasn't caused by ESD.

It seems you have the Asus CrashFreeBIOS2 feature on that motherboard so if you have the support CD boot with it and it should flash the Bios if necessary.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6195/crashfreebios2.jpg

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Open the case and give the board a VERY close inspection with a bright light. Look for any capacitors that look like the pics below. That board is getting pretty old now and it may have some failing parts.

Attached Files:

8. nikomaster

nikomaster

This issue could certainly have many causes

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice