1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS error with new battery

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jessejo28, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jessejo28

jessejo28 Thread Starter

Hi, My boyfriend's computer runs Win 98 and won't boot up or make the post. When it does it states CMOS checksum error-defaults loaded. I replaced the battery but it is the same. What can I do now? Motherboard? Tks.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, When you have this message, one thing to do is actually go into the BIOS and just save and exit as it tells you to- there is usually a help spot on the side or bottom with right Fkey to hit to Save and Exit...making your changes stick. Some BIOS have other options to set Optimal and Best Performance settings....or Load Previous Settings, which may be best for you if ALL you did was replace the battery, and the previous settings were good and are still available. You can try.
    Setup defaults should allow you to boot, but there may have been some settings that were changed at some point, so you would have to know what those were, if any, to put them back.
    Your motherboard manual would have the info you need on settings in your (his) BIOS. We can try to ID the board, unless he or you know the make and model, and get you to a site with the manual to go through. Most motherboards have some sort of marking, either a paper label or printed on ID....like this for example: MS6178 Rev. 03
    or GA-xxxx
    or FIC-SD11
    or PB930
    The ID might be anywhere, in corners, between slots, etc.
    Usually, we can find a manual, they are in Adobe Acrobat .pdf form, so you need the free Acrobat Reader to view them online.
    Let us know.
    I think I would go for loading the previous settings, since the defaults are now.....but, could be just saving and exiting will help, then you can change to previous....and, if problems occur, you can switch to the defaults again to get going.
    Make sure you didnt bump something loose like a cable when you replaced the battery. Just push on them to make sure they are on tight. Once in awhile, you get a dead battery from a store, too.

3. jessejo28

jessejo28 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. It won't boot up at all now. Not even to the error message. I can't seem to find the motherboard number. It's award bios, but I don't know the motherboard maker. Thanks, anyway.

4. Byteman

Hi, Sounds like you gave up with it? No way replacing the battery should do this....unless something seriously shorted out on the board, bad static discharge zapped it, or you have a bent pin on something. I would check the power cord, maybe try another....check the monitor cable for a a bent pin, too.
    If nothing at all happens, no sounds, no fans spin, no lights>
    1. Does the power supply have an ON/OFF switch on it- on the back of the computer, where power cord plugs in....a rocker switch?
    2. Outlet where you are plugging it in the wall works?
    3. Naturally, try a new battery.
    4. Just leave the pc plugged in overnight, but off...power flows to battery when machine is off, and plugged in. Maybe just too low a charge. (Normally, they start, but put up a message about low battery state, probably not your problem)
    5. Motherboard connectors from power supply might be loose...big white plug, two piece or one....if its a two part connector, side by side, that plugs into the motherboard...the two black wires have to be next to each other when you plug them down into the connector. Can kill a board if you reverse these connectors. The one piece, or ATX plugs can only go one way.
    6. Power switch- the one from the front, or power button, has a thin set of wires to the motherboard, check it's connector. Did you move any of these little wires, LED lights, Reset button, etc??
    Reseat the video card if lights, fans work and you just get a blank monitor screen. Also reseat the memory modules.
    7, Some boards are pretty easy to crack if you push too hard down on something, so take it easy pressing anything on them...
    8. Try a different power supply----if the computer is a DELL, you must use a DELL power supply!
    I won't be replying again, unless you ask for further help, others might, if you want to close the thread, just post that you do.... Thanks!

5. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

try shorting the CMOS clear jumper on the motherboard for a couple of seconds, start it up and go into setup then save and exit... you should be ok then

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you short the cmos jumper, disconnect the power supply to the motherboard..........

7. jessejo28

jessejo28 Thread Starter

How do I short the jumper? I only touched the battery and nothing else. I think the motherboard may be shot and that just happens to be the error it gave me when it could boot up. thanks for all the help. J

8. Byteman

Hi, What Candy meant by shorting the CMOS jumper is putting the little plastic cap over onto the "CLR" position for a few seconds....but: you have to know what jumper it is, some boards have this labelled....look closely, use a light and magnifying glass if ya have to....writing down there is tiny. BE CAREFUL not to scratch or drop anything down onto the motherboard! The jumper will usually have 3 pins, the jumper cap (usually black or blue) will be on 2 and 3, you have to move it one pin over for a few seconds,,,,then PUT IT BACK to where it was....the other position on some boards is labelled "NRML".
    There may be something like this printed beside this jumper
    JP1 CLR CMOS
    NRML CLR
    It is usually near the battery.
    It MAY NOT be JP1-----that is just one example.
    Use tweezers= be careful not to slip and gouge anything on the surface of the motherboard!
    Hope this helps.
    I really hate to post this....but ran into it once....you do have the number side up for the battery, right? Did you by any chance bend the clip that holds the battery in place- they can be too loose, not make good contact. Ran into one board that had two batteries in....stacked up, owner said the clip was loose, and it worked better with two!!?
    Follow what she told you about the motherboard to power supply wires
    If it does start....press the key, like DEL or an FKEY to enter CMOS setup and set Defaults for now. It MAY tell you 'F1 to continue.." as well. CHECK the power cord, be sure it is plugged into back of computer all the way. PUSH IN ON AND HOLD FOR 4 or 5 SECONDS on the Power switch button on the front of computer after you have moved the jumper and plugged everything in.

9. jessejo28

jessejo28 Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help. I had someone help with shorting the jumper and yes I did have the battery right side up. We can end this post and thanks again. I'll try the battery clip and see if I bent it You guys rock.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice