Cmos/gnpv

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pistons014

ok when i start my computer a error comes upo saying
CMOS/GNPV Checksum Bad and then my computer like freezes cuz my keyboard comtrols dont work like F1 for setup.
does anyone know what is wrong:rolleyes:

Hi,

The checksum error probably means that your CMOS, has recently been reset, or there is some invalid setting. However, if you're unable to even access your BIOS (by pressing F1 or F2 or DEL or whatever), then you might have a problem with your keyboard. Have you tried using a different keyboard? Are you pressing the F1 key right away, or not until you get this error?

pistons014

i press del before the eror but then the message comes up followed by press f1 f2
and it doesnt work any of the times
ill try a new key board
anything else

With any checksum error, the first thing I would do is replace the cmos battery on the motherboard.

You can also try using the jumpers on the motherboard to reset it, or just removing the battery for a few minutes.

Beyond that, overclocking, corrupt BIOS (requiring a BIOS flash) and sometimes unstable processors can all be potential causes.

What is your BIOS type (Award, Phoenix, other...)?

Personally I haven't seen this particular checksum message addressed before, you might want to review some of these links which cover it:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=CMOS/GPNV+Checksum+Bad+&spell=1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online