1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS Problem - figure this one out!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brianc, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brianc

brianc Thread Starter

I just built a computer from the ground up - it works great except for one problem.

When I disconnect the power cord, then reattach it (with pc shut down of course), and reboot, the cmos settings are cleared.

However, if I shut the computer down, but leave it plugged in, and reboot later, they are maintained.

Does anyone agree that this is a cmos battery problem, or could it be something else?

Thanks!

2. rugrat

rugrat

If the settings are gone with no power connected, I say battery or a problem with the board itself, ie.. one of the traces that connect the battery is broken. Try a new battery, if that does not solve the problem.... OUCH>>>> probably the board.

Good Luck

3. richardp

richardp

Make sure the battery is secured properly.

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D Check the jumper that clears the CMOS. It is possible that the jumper is beside one of the pins instead of on it. Also on some mobo's the jumper is set to "Clear CMOS" when shipped from the factory and you have to change it when you install the board.

Good luck.

KW1

5. supertech

supertech

if the jumpers were reversed on the cmos it wouldnt boot its probally the battery or a short somewhere clearing the cmos turn the lights out and look for sparks:D

6. deuce

deuce

Being that the battery is a few bucks and takes 3 seconds to replace, I'd replace that first because if that works, it would be the easiest fix and you don't need to mess with looking for something you don't know for sure is there and/or where or what it actually is you're looking for..

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice