1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS problems HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rob2910, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rob2910

rob2910 Thread Starter

I have been trying to help a friend with their PC and am having the following problems.

When turning the PC on it was saying that the CMOS battery was low so I have had the battery changed, twice, and it is still saying the same thing as well as saying that the 'CMOS Memory is the wrong size' each time the PC is booted up. I can press F2 to get it to auto detect and then if I reboot immediately it doesn't say that the battery is low but still says 'CMOS memory is the wrong size'

Is this a sign that the mobo is on it's way out? Or does anyoe have any suggestions as to what is happening / the cause??

2. rob2910

rob2910 Thread Starter

Can anyone help please?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure you enter the BIOS Setup and load the Optimal or BIOS Defaults then Save and Exit. If it continues to happen then you may indeed have a motherboard problem. Have you changed, add or removed, any hardware recently?

4. rob2910

rob2910 Thread Starter

I have done that but will try again.

As for adding or removing hardware I have added and removed a USB broadband modem because I needed the download speed for XPSP2. I also having problems with the 56k modem which is in the PC in question and have posted separately HERE

Any help greatfully received

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice