1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cmos settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whiskey, Feb 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskey

whiskey Thread Starter

i have an old toshiba satellite t2115cs laptop.i use it for accounting.Booted it up today (i keep it unplugged at night) message came on screen that the CMOS settings had changed.it took the date on my machine back to 1/1/1990.I changed the date at the c prompt to the current date.things now seem ok.Is this a battery problem?
    please help

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

The purpose of having the CMOS chip powered by a small battery is to maintain the date, time, and computer configuration when the power to the computer is turned off. Best chances have it that the battery needs replacing.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And they are little boogers to get to in order to change.....if you've never taken a laptop apart, I would recommend taking it to someone who knows what they are doing.....I'm still trying to reassemble an old Packard Bell......although I'm calling it other things now :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/69462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice