1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMOS trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kfinchie, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kfinchie

kfinchie Thread Starter

I am running a AMD Athlon™ 64 3700+ with NVIDIA nForce4 SLi - KN8 SLi mother board and now every time that i have to restart my computer turn ons and does nothing.. all the lights come on fans are going just nothing is booting up.. i have to jump cmos to get it going.. anybody know whats going on? and how i can fix it?

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

Any number of possibilities. It could be a bad video card, motherboard, powersupply, etc. What you need to do is to eliminate these, until you find the culprit. Start with the easiest first. Reseat the video card and ram. Check all cable connections. If one of these don't help, check the power supply with a tester. Next, pull everything from the case, and assemble only the motherboard, video card and ram, connected to the power supply and monitor, and short across the power pins on the motherboard, where the power switch connects. If you still get no video, swap components with other known good ones, so that you can determine which is bad.

3. kfinchie

kfinchie Thread Starter

this must be done even thought i am still able to use my computer, it all seems to be in working order.

4. seekermeister

seekermeister

Perhaps I misunderstood, but from your original post, it didn't sound as though you could use the computer.

EDIT: I just reread the OP and since the CMOS jump makes it work, I'll defer to someone else on this.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Describe what you mean by "jump CMOS", as it makes no real sense to me.

If you actually mean clearing the BIOS, (using the jumper) then please clarify?

6. kfinchie

kfinchie Thread Starter

sorry yes that is what i mean.. we just say jump the cmos instead of cleaning the BIOS using the cmos jumper

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I would be checking the CMOS battery first. Even new ones can be faulty.
    Clearing the CMOS simply resets the defaults.

8. kfinchie

kfinchie Thread Starter

thanks i'll try that tomorrow.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice