1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cmos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomwi11is, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomwi11is

tomwi11is Thread Starter

Why is it that my computer will only power on for 30 seconds and then switch itself off ?

I have put a jumper over pins 1 and 2 of the Clear Cmos pins and it powers up forever.

If I put the jumper in the correct position as I say, it will only power up for around 30seconds and it will make lots of beeps.

HELP PLEASE !

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

So what is wrong exactly? Usually pins 1 and 2 are for it to do normal operations and 2 and 3 are to clear it. So if you have pins 1 and 2 jumpered then your going to nromal operations and its powered up the way it should?

3. onsite

onsite

a lot of PCs will not even power up with the jumpers on clear,
    do you see anything on the monitor ?
    or just get beeps
    beeps usually mean one of two things. RAM or Video. Reseat both. If multiple sticks of ram, try one at a time in different slots
    did you move the cmos jumpers while the pc was on ?

4. tomwi11is

tomwi11is Thread Starter

I will describe exactly what occurs.

Firstly, i turn the power on.
    I then press the power button.
    I then hear a single long beep, that occurs for around 10 secs.
    A series of smaller intermitant beeps then sound.
    After around 20 seconds, the whole computer turns off.
    It should also be noted that nothing is displayed on the monitor at any time.

What should I do ?

5. onsite

onsite

You said you moved the cmos jumpers did you do this when the pc was on or off ?
    try reseating your video card ( if not embedded ) and ram, try one stick at a time in different slots. remove all cards not needed to post, modems, sound...etc , unplugg HD,CDROM ...etc
    Remove the ram and do not put back in, then turn on see if you get the same beep.
    I have to say it is usually a series of beeps.

6. tomwi11is

tomwi11is Thread Starter

No, in response to your question, I did not remove the CMOS Jumper when the system was on. I only swapped the jumper over when the power was off.

Any suggestions ?

7. onsite

onsite

I say usually, so i will not here from everyone that has experienced differently, when you here beeps like that it means one of 2 things ram or video. Could be a bad power supply or faulty mainboard, I think though of the maybe 20 - 30 pc's and maybe 50 notebooks, it has always been ram or video.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice