1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cmos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Becca, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becca

Becca Thread Starter

When I turn on my computer, it hangs up with the message: "CMOS checksum error-defaults loaded" and underneath that it says"CMOS battery failed". It gives me an option of F1 continue or DEL to enter setup. What does this mean and how do I fix it? Thanks so much you are always so helpful!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Becca
    The error you are receiving means the battery used to maintain the cmos settings is about gone and needs to be replaced. The battery is located on the motherboard and depending on your unit it looks similiar to a watch battery. If you have reservations about removing and replacing the battery then take the tower to a local repair shop and they will do it for you.
    Here is a site that explaining what the message means.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER06-c.html
    And heres a site that explains the how tos
    http://pcsupport.about.com/library/weekly/aa041700a.htm
    Dave

3. joga

joga

I have an Asus CUV4X-E motherboard. Mine uses a lithium CR2032 3volt battery (found it in motherboard manual). I got the battery for $2.49 at Best Buy on sale:)

If yours is this type, mine just popped out and i put new one in. There is a little latch you push to pop it out, and just replace it. I dont know your configuration, but this is first time i've done this type of in-the-case replacement:) It wasnt hard at all.

However, I first had to get the system booted to the bios area to write down all my settings. Becuase once you replace the battery it defaults to whatever, and it will need your settings again.

Once you have written down settings (hope they are still there since your battery died ? I caught mine before it died). Then replace battery.

After replacing battery, boot up into bios mode once again (i use Ctrl Alt Esc just as the system starts to boot to get to mine) then replace the settings you wrote down. I only had to change 4 or 5, most were the defaults.

Then fix the time and date settings in system. Mine went back to 1/1/2000:) I sent an email that way before i noticed it:)

I also had to reinstall iomegaware for my zip 250 internal to get the drive to recognize properly. Thats all i had to do:)

Hope this helps. I just did it this afternoon:)

jo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice