1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CMS Backup External Device, USB HUB error

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by smithjw, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithjw

smithjw Thread Starter

I'm operating on a Dell Inspirion 5150 Laptop/Windows XP.
    I have had a CMS External USB Backup Device for 6 months now. All of a sudden it gives me an error message when I plug it into my USB port. It states "the Device is more powerful" then the USB hub speed can support. Then asks me to detach device and hit "reset" to reactive that port. I've tried my other USB port as well with the same error message. I was not having those issues before, even though I was using the same laptop. Anyway to fix that?
    The device still has room for additional storage as well. It is not full.

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Perhaps something has become corrupted in the USB driver or storage parameters. Try my little raindance to reinitialize the USB drivers. Be sure to follow the directions exactly.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

4. smithjw

smithjw Thread Starter

unfortunately this first fix did not solve my issue..i followed it verbatum....thanks for your first idea...any other options at this point? i have a note into CMS directly of course as well. :confused:

5. JohnWill

If you have a power supply for this device, perhaps it's not connected properly. A USB port can only supply 0.5A at +5V to the attached device.

Of course, it would help if we know some specifics, like the actual model number of the CMS device... "External USB Backup Device" could mean almost anything.

6. smithjw

smithjw Thread Starter

it was all about the power supply as you indicated john. perfect...i feel like a dofus, as i was only trying to run the one usb connection for the ABS Plus usb cable, and not including the second power connection (USB to ABS plus). once i connected that power item to my second USB hub, problem solved...thanks again john. it was all about the power..fyi-the product is a cms ABS, 20GB, USB external hard drive. those are the only specs on the model basically. hope that helps and thanks again as you SAVED ME! :)

7. JohnWill

You're welcome. This is obviously a 2.5" hard disk with a two-headed USB cable, and you do need both connected before you plug the connector into the drive. I have three of these little beasts for traveling. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373167