1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Coax and RJ45 Network with internet sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mattcrane, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattcrane

mattcrane Thread Starter

Hi I have a network problem

My network consists of four machines on a coaxial network using a windowx xp machine as the gateway the coax is connected to a NIC with BNC connector.

I also have a NETGear router/modem/wireless box which i currently have connected to the same pc but via rj45 to a second NIC with RJ45 socket

I have set up this second connection to share the internet connection.

The problem is, access to the internet is dipping in and out. There is no problem with the line as my simple usb modem works ok.

1. Could some one please explain what the following should be set to
    FOR COAX NIC(ACTING AS SERVER) IP should be? Gateway should be? DNS shoudl be?
    FOR RJ45 NIC(WITH NETGEAR ATTACHED)IP should be? Gateway should be? DNS shoudl be?

FOR ONE OF THE COAX CLIENTS IP should be? Gateway should be? DNS shoudl be?

and/or

2. Can i just get a BNC to RJ45 converted and just plug in the Coax with the conerteds on straight in the netgear , negating the need for the A Gateway pc and setting the Netgear as the gateway.

With this way my concern is whether i can just put the converted on the coax then treat is as is were a cat 5 (obvioulsly i understand i will only get 10Mb thourgh it) i.e. pluggin straight into the net gear

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/622156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice