1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cobian Backup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cbird01, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbird01

cbird01 Thread Starter

I am in need of a backup program and just downloaded Cobian. Is this just to backup files, or will this backup your operating system also?

I guess I should describe what I want to do and see what the best program would be.

I want to be able to backup everything. I have so many programs on my computer and my drive is 4 years old. I do not want to have to reload the whole operating system AND all the programs. It just takes too much time. I just did it so I could wipe my hard drive and start with a fresh install of XP. I never want to do this again until I get another computer and chances are, this hard drive will go kaput before that happens.

So I would like a full backup of programs/OS and files. Obviously this will take a long time. Then I want fast, regular backups of any changes once per night or maybe weekly at the most.

I am backing up to a SATA external hard drive via a IEEE 1394 firewire interface from a Dell Inspiron 8200.

Can Cobian do this or will I need something like True Image?

(If there is an intermediate solution that would minimize the time it takes to fully restore my system including all applications, but doesn't necessarily make an image of my entire disk, do tell)

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Cobian is only for file(s) backups. I am not informed enough to answer the rest of your questions. However, I know an "imaging program" will be needed.
    {redoak}

3. smbd

smbd

Why don't you want to use True Image? If you need a fast backing up and restoring - True Image is the best solution. I can surely say that True Image works faster than Ghost for example. With True Image you'll need to do a backup of your entire PC once and after that it will only capture changes so it will be very fast. You can continue working while True Image performing a backup operation. If you want to do a regular backup you can use built-in scheduler that will allow you to do a backup as often as you want. I think you should read more about True Image potentialities to make sure that it is the best solution.
    I use Acronis for a long time and can say that it works perfectly.

4. cbird01

cbird01 Thread Starter

I was trying to find something cheaper, but if that is the best solution I think I will just go for it. I actually used the demo version and completed a full backup a few months back. When I install the paid version, will I be able to just do a incremental now?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your full backup is a few months old, you're overdue for another full backup!

6. smbd

smbd

7. JohnWill

Acronis True Image and Cobian Backup serve different roles. Acronis True Image 7 has no file-by-file backup.

8. guitar

guitar Banned

bummer the offer has expired anyone know of another free one thanks:)

9. JohnWill

Since the current version of True Image is only $30 on a downloaded purchase from www.newegg.com, I'm not sure what the issue is. Everything in life doesn't have to be free. :)

10. guitar

guitar Banned

hmm let me think no job two kids a wife a house mortgage 2 cars and i'm on dialup:D maybe its a lack of money
    and if there is one that works and is free thats what i asked for [i've tried a few that don't work and are free]

[ i get my job back when i get my drivers licence back in 3 month ]

11. JohnWill

Perhaps an adjustment to the behavior that caused you to lose your driver's license would be more to the point. ;)

12. guitar

guitar Banned

that helped not;)
    we have so many speed restrictions here and i'm on the road a lot its just a matter of time to lose all your points and your licence for offences 5km over the speed limit
    i got acronis from a friend and it worked fine:D

13. letchworth

letchworth

Good luck to you--- I'm sure it has been difficult
    letchworth

14. guitar

guitar Banned

thanks letchworth:)

15. Spider111

Spider111

According to your requirements True Image will be the most convenient solution for you, so plus one vote for Acronis:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice