1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Code 22 Mouse issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vicious.kitty, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicious.kitty

vicious.kitty Thread Starter

Hello,

As of today my mouse is not getting picked up at all... Tried different usb, tried different mouse, tried restarting. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers... all every annoying without a mouse. After a bit of looking up online I found it was due to "This device is disabled. (Code 22)" I tried to re-enable my mouse. I saw my pointer for a second then it was gone again and control panel - mouse now shows nothing. Going through the device manager it picks up my mouse but disabling it and re-enabling it does nothing. My mouse is the Razer - Lachesis.

I have an older mouse a Logitech wireless. When I plug that one it windows asks me to install the drivers, so I try to.... it fails and gives me a message about files after windows 95? And then does not detect that mouse at all in the device manager.

Anyways...
    Does anyone know if this is a vista issue and if re-installing windows would fix it or is this something completely new?
    And if I have to re-install windows... how does one gets their newer game saves? They are not in program files/*game name* nor are they in c:users/*username*/saved games/*game name*

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

These gaming mouse types can be very picky. Have you tried doing a "system restore" to a date when it worked? That's always my first recourse.

Second would be to do the following: Download the latest drivers and firmware for it, but do not install them.

Remove the current drivers from the Device Manager and reboot.

See if the mouse is detected as a standard mouse. If it is not, there is something wrong with the hardware

If the mouse is detected as a standard mouse and works, try reinstalling the drivers.

The mouse should then be recognized as a Razer mouse. It probably won't be necessary to update or reflash firmware at that point -- but if the specialized features do not work -- then you may need to do that as well.

If no mouse, even a standard one, is being detected -- you probably have a hardware problem -- but I'd certainly try doing a system restore before anything else.

3. vicious.kitty

Thank you, I will try a system restore but how would it be a hardware problem if neither my gaming mouse nor a regular mouse works. The gaming mouse is more 'detected' than the older wireless one... (which is a Logitech mouse).

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The hardware problem would have to be with the USB controllers on the ports you are installing into.

If you look in the Device Manager under System > USB, do you see any issues there?

Does the computer have dedicated USB ports for the mouse and keyboard (these can be used for either)? If so, and you plug a USB Mouse or keyboard into any other port there is no guarantee of proper detection.

I would also do this, install the "hidden devices" registry script attached (unzip and double click), and then in the Device Manager > View, select "show hidden" devices.

Now uninstall all ghosted (faded) devices found under "Mice and other Pointing Devices" and all Mouse devices under "Human Interface Devices".

Then reboot and see if it is detected normally. If it is, reinstall the drivers for it.

Attached Files:

5. vicious.kitty

Thank you for your help. My friend pointed out something I missed (.inf file in the error message). After re-installing Vista everything works again. Damn vista... >.<

6. that1guy3d

that1guy3d

I am having a similar problem with Vista. Last time I shut my computer down, my mouse worked fine. Now it is gone. I normally use a regular Dell USB mouse. I tried a PS2 mouse that that isn't recognized at all. So, I plugged the USB mouse back in. The computer recognized that I plugged something but claimed it couldn't find a driver for it.

As an additional note to this problem: for the past couple of days ANY USB or firewire drive that I plug in (even ones that I have used before) will not work. As with the mouse, the computer recognizes that I plugged something in but it can't find a driver for it.

Anybody have a solution for this other than reinstalling Vista? Having no mouse and no connection to a external hard drive is quite an inconvenience. Even if I DID want to back my stuff up and reformat my computer, I don't dare do that because I have nothing to back it up on besides a bunch of DVD's.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice