1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Code Stuff Starter Utility

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Pithombre, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pithombre

Pithombre Thread Starter

I have downloaded "Code Stuff Starter" which is an easy way to manage the msconfig startup function (delete duplicates,etc.). This utility works fine on my Dell PentiumII Dimension XPS 333 Desktop; however, when I attempt to download this on my wife's Inspiron 5000 laptop, the download icon appears as a question mark and when I try to execute, I get the message " not a Windows file, or file is corrupt". I get the same results when I copy my desktop download of "Code Stuff Starter" to a floppy and try to load it on the laptop. Any suggestions?

2. Pithombre

Pithombre Thread Starter

Forgot to add, we are both using Windows 98SE.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

what is the file extension?.....exe, .zip, etc?

4. Pithombre

Pithombre Thread Starter

It's a zip file. "start554".

5. Pithombre

Pithombre Thread Starter

Call off the dogs!! Problem solved. I unzipped the file on my computer, copied only the .exe file onto a floppy, and it loaded on the laptop. Previously, I had tried to load the entire zip file. Still don't know why that wouldn't work, but for now----No Problem!!

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

She probably needs to load WinZip (or another unzipping utility), which ought to come standard with Windows, but it doesn't.

7. Pithombre

Pithombre Thread Starter

Problem Solved! Thanks for all the help, but she has Winzip. I think the problem involved something running in the background that prevented me from loading the utility correctly. Today, it worked fine.:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice