1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Codec problem, windows media player 11

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by emmdee, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emmdee

emmdee Thread Starter

Boo.
    Windows Media Player is being lame.
    About 2/3 of the time, i open a video and it says 'Aquiring codec... codec acquired.' at the bottom of the screen and it only plays the audio stream.
    So then i go and download DivX and guess what?
    The opposite happens!
    I have no audio anymore.
    I can post a hijack log if you like but i doubt you'll need one. This is stupid because usually i shouldn't have to download DivX to get Media Player to work.
    -shrugs- Oh well i guess. Whatever works.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

...OH!
    Forgot.
    I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 with IE7. =]
    Acer monitor, brand new from christmas..
    And got a new tower too, 2GB RAM and 250 GB memory.
    Faster than our old one, that's for sure..

2. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

how full is your cpu while running the videos? and wht Graphics card have you got?

3. emmdee

emmdee Thread Starter

Uhhhhmm.
    I honestly have no idea.
    The CPU usage seems to be debating between 55% and 58% though when i open the video, keeping in mind that i have internet open and all that.
    All i know is i have the ASUS P5GZ-MX motherboard...
    If you could tell me how to find out about the Graphics card haha, i'd be glad to tell you.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    got your message ;)

Where do you download the files from? It looks like one of these codecs that require a license I think. Either that or they are using a different codec than normal.

5. emmdee

emmdee Thread Starter

Haha thank you. =]
    Weird because i've never had a problem with it before? It's always worked fine...

But yeah...don't yell at me. I use a P2P program. Because i don't know how else to get it. I have the licensed DVDs of the show and stuff but there's so much on it and i have no idea how to get it on my computer so i can convert it to iPod movie.
    And also, because my mother is too cheap to want to buy stuff online.
    I believe in the stealing pirating stuff, but my mom doesn't care and she refuses to pay. And i don't have money.

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    lol well I do know that a lot of stuff on P2P networks are like what I mentioned. Those files need to get the license for the movie. I guess you should get some income in to pay for the video. :D

But if you have the DVD already, why download it? Plus I do believe converting the DVD to an iPod movie is against US law.

7. emmdee

emmdee Thread Starter

Hmm, i don't know, it's just really weird cause i never had a problem with them on my old computer.
    And i am downloading them so i can watch them on my iPod haha.
    But really? It's against US law? That makes no sense....then what is the point of the iPod video? You have to convert it to watch it!
    I don't know about Canadian law but that's just stupid.

8. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

9. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    The iPod video is there for the video that is on iTunes ;) I do believe Canadian law is slightly different, at least for the music since the government puts a huge tax on the burners and media (or so I was told)

There are software around... but that's something you need to look for yourself. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice