1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

codec problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by rosmari, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I'm editing .avi videos (converted from 8mm movies), and using Virtualdub filters. When I try to "save it as .avi", I get the message "cannot initialize smart rendering. The selected video codec is able to compress the source video, but cannot match the same compressed format".

Not understanding much about codec, I had downloaded Xvid MPEG-4 Codec. Evidently this is not what I need.

Please help!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

got it - thank you.

Now, I filtered it with Brightness/Contrast, and Deshaker v2.4 (which I added). But:
    is there a filter that enhances color?
    in certain sections, I'd like to slow down the movie to fewer frames/sec. Can I do that?
    The person who took the original movies seems to have had trouble holding the camera straight, and much of the movie is at an angle. Is there a way to correct that (section by section, if possible)?

4. rosmari

rosmari Thread Starter

I now seem to have a de-compression problem.
    I managed to do some filtering with VirtualDub (Deshaker v2.4) and then saved it as .avi, after compressing it with Xvid MPEG-4.
    It is now an .avi file, of the same duration, but the size has shrunk from 858 MB to 183KB.
    How do I make it usable?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice