1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Codec problems + NO video

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by blackworc, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackworc

blackworc Thread Starter

I downloaded winamp a week ago and since noticed that wmp will not show video. I uninstalled winamp to try and fix the problem. I done alot of reading and figured out that I was probally missing a codec so I ran a couple videos though gspot to see if it could tell me what I needed. Turns out that I needed xvid I belive. Downloaded that and nothing, I also tried the klite pack or something, not sure the name but it had all the codecs in one, and that still didnt work. Not sure where to go from here hope you guys can help me !!!

2. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

Welcome to TSG, I'm not a multimedia person here, but what video file is it ? avi?

Have you try DIVX codec?

Also you should try download VLC player here

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

3. blackworc

blackworc Thread Starter

The paticular thing im trying to open is an avi but nothing works, even when I put a dvd in the computer. Im really not sure where to go and I really need help !!

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I think he told you what it was.

5. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

hmmm, isn't divx and xvid almost the same?

6. net_newsy

net_newsy

I'm confused :confused:

Xvid

Xvid is a primary competitor of the DivX Pro Codec (Xvid being DivX spelled backwards). In contrast with the DivX codec, which is proprietary software developed by DivX, Inc., Xvid is free software distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Comparison of video codecs

codecs list:
    Blackbird
    Cinepak
    DivX
    FFmpeg (libavcodec)
    Sorenson 3
    Theora
    RealVideo
    x264
    wmv
    Xvid

So I think they are not the same. :) (I'm not sure!)

7. net_newsy

net_newsy

http://people.csail.mit.edu/tbuehler/video/codecs/avi.html#xvid

XviD is another entry in the family of MPEG-4 codecs, and it and DivX 5 both have their origins in the same project. But while DivX 5 turned commercial, XviD stayed open source.

does it mean they are both MPEG-4 codecs? I thought MPEG-4 was MICROSOFTs because of Microsoft MPEG-4 v2 :confused:

but still...

Note: One weird thing is that Microsoft's MPEG-4 is NOT actually MPEG-4! The codecs were developed before the MPEG-4 standard was agreed upon, and Microsoft assumed that the MPEG-4 that they developed would be become the standard MPEG-4. Well, it didn't, which is the main reason why the codec's name was changed to Windows Media in later versions.

I'm confused please help! :confused:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice