codec problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

in3rt!a

im having problems with some codecs on my computer...

i had klite codec pack, and i unistalled it, and it looked like xvid was still installed on my computer, so i went in to add/remove programs and tried to uninstall it. it said that it might already have been uninstalled, so i removed it from the list. there was still an xvid folder in my start menu, with an uninstall.exe, but when i clicked it, it said it couldnt be found. so i just deleted the folder.

anyway, i tried to get rid of all traces of xvid, and then went and redownloaded a klite codec pack. i installed it, but a lot of the movies im playing are still messed up.

do i have to go into the registry to get rid of all the traces of all the codecs, then reinstall?
it seems as if xvid is really the only one giving me trouble..i played a demo from FRAPS and it was fine.

so how can i get rid of all codecs and what should i use to install fresh ones?

I would download regseeker http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html then search for the exact files you want to remove from your registry, allow it to make a back up and assuming you are using xp also make a restore point. That should clean this programme from your system.

Be very carefull when deleting files from the registry can cause many more problems, so make sure they are the files you want rid of.

in3rt!a

will it be safe to assume that anything with xvid in the name will be ok to delete and wont screw up windows?

Well I would say so but make a restore point with xp and allow regseeker to make backups just in case. Dont do it unless you are comfortable with this as I can not guarantee anything all i can say is i have used regseeker for similar problems and had no problem with it. Maybe you could get a different codec pack that will do the job to save you doing this?

worth a try maybe.

in3rt!a

yeah well ive been through this kind of problem before. i actually came here for help then too:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=299384

the guy told me to get RegCleaner, and i used that and it solved my problems. so i got RegCleaner and RegSeeker. regseeker looks confusing, and since ive used regcleaner before and it solved my problem, im tryin that.

i dunno. i hate codecs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online