Codecs messed up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kula

Any AVI file from any source, causes an error message sayin Windows Explorer needs to close, even if I just click on it once. A colleague has said my codecs could be messed up and I need to remove them, and re-install. Also remove the registry entry for Windows Media Player that opens avi's. What's the best way of going about this. I have recorded TV programs, which are Mpeg, and need to turn them into AVI, to then convert them to play on my portable media.

Do you have any codec packs installed? If so the first thing to do is unistall them. Try playing your file again, if you don't have the correct codec installed it still won't work but this initial step is to remove any codecs that are conflicting.

Codecs should be installed on need only only basis... Packs cause more problems than they solve.

Kula

I uninstalled the codec pack, but the item is still on the program menu, and Advanced Uninstaller says it can't uninstall it.

Try reinstalling the codec pack again, then run the uninstaller. This should enable it to be removed properly.

MysticEyes

Banned
Windows Explorer needs to close, even if I just click on it once
When you just click on it you are activating the Exporer preview pane. Seems Explorer is experiencing a preview problem due to clashing codecs as was mentioned.

Get Gspot, 2.21, and see what codecs are required for your AVI.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

You might also try this app which will show the codecs and allow you to disable/enable them as an aid to sorting things out.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mmview.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online