1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Codes and prereqs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gijew, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gijew

gijew Thread Starter

Does anyone have some of the product codes for Windows XP? I cannot find my darn box that had it and I need to reload the O/S. Also, what is the minimum you can have on a PC in order to run Windows XP on it. I have an old Compaq Presario that ran Windows 98 and I am trying to upgrade it to run Windows XP ... only has 64MB RAM and I know I need at least 256MB ... any other help please.

And finally, I know there is a website out there that has the maximum memory you can put in a machine or how many upgrades you can do to a type of desktop / laptop but I cannot remember the name of it. If someone knows it and can tell me I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanx

2. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
    • PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Those are the minimum requirements listed on Microsofts site, but A box that just squeaks by on the minimum requirements is not going to make you happy with XP. Truthfully, it’s a recipe for disaster. XP has many nice features, but they do require a box which has the oomph to power them adequately. I personally have never been able to load XP with less than 256 MB of RAM...freezes every time.

As far as the missing product key, you'll need to get in touch with Microsoft to see what you can do. It is illegal to use someone else's key.

To find what RAM your computer will use:
    http://www.crucial.com/index.asp?gclid=CMq0uu6IjooCFQXTgAod-XJMeQ

Good luck!

3. gijew

gijew Thread Starter

What does one do then when the O/S comes with the computer and it gets ruined or the PC is no longer under warranty? ... and thank you for the prereqs ...

4. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    Usually, even if the computer is out of warranty and if the computer came with a loaded Operating System, you would still be able to contact the computer maker for the cds that contain the OS and drivers. Usually there is a small fee to replace them or to purchase new cds.
    On the other hand, if you purchased the Windows XP cds, but lost the key, you can contact Microsoft support, and SOMETIMES they will give you a key to use. I think it depends on how true your story sounds ;)

Good luck!

5. gijew

gijew Thread Starter

Thanks again ... I will try and contact Microsoft support then ... I appreciate this, wasn't trying to steal anything ... I guess the moral of the story is to keep or write down the codes from the boxes ... thank you for your help and the prereqs again!

6. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    You're very welcome! Best of luck!

7. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

If you install Belarc Advisor ( which is free ) it will tell you what your current serial number is.

8. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    Peter, you are right, I forgot all about Belarc Advisor. Excellent suggestion!!! (y) You da man!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice