1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Coding help :(

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Sammeh_Boy, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sammeh_Boy

Sammeh_Boy Thread Starter

okay, ive been fiddling with photoshop for a while now, I wont say how long, cause i'm embarrassed about how little I know. Anyway, the problem is, I've been wanting to make a portfolio sort of thing to put online and hold the works i make. The issue with this, is I can't code a layout to save my life. I know basic HTML and can do simple things. I experimented with using an iframe within my layout and cant make it work right, and everytime i try to search for help online all i see is articles about how frames are dead and div's and css are the way to go.

the link below is to a copy of my psd stored on box.net because its 2.5mb and too big for attachment :(.

what I'm hoping someone will be able to do is tell me the best way for me to code it, and hopefully a link to somewhere to learn how to do that? I've searched for hours, and the tutorials on div's and css are just copy and paste based ones where you dont learn anything :(

http://www.box.net/shared/92ygb0ol1o

p.s- if it is against board rules to link to an outside site, please remove :\

any help, suggestions is greatly appreciated,
    sam

2. caraewilton

caraewilton

Hi busy downloading. Just to clarify, do you want to create a webpage to display this stuff?

3. caraewilton

caraewilton

Wow that is really cool!
    So you want to create a webpage that looks like that....
    Mmm the challenge!
    I have attached your picture so people can see it without having to download.
    It should not be to difficult to create a webpage like that. I would use css layout. I suppose you would want the content to fit with in the box in centre. Would you want this to expand, depending on the amount of context, or have the content scroll within the box?

Attached Files:

4. caraewilton

caraewilton

Do you know anything about css?

5. Sammeh_Boy

i know very little about css, so you may aswell say i know nothing, and the bottom bar would be used as navigation. hoping to make in a non-expanding box with a simple scrollbar inside if content becomes too big..

the idea is for it to be a layout, and all the content will be accessed through the bottom bar of links, and as said above the content will be displayed in the centre box on a non-expanding basis :)

sam

6. caraewilton

caraewilton

Cool, I think it would be pretty easy.
    I would very much enjoy playing a little with this and seeing what I can get right. As I am currently working, I'll only be able to start this afternoon. If I can get this to work, I'll post the code and you can use it or not.
    In the mean time, perhaps some of the guru's will take a look and also give ideas.

7. Sammeh_Boy

thanks heaps :)

hey your from rsa, my best mates from rsa :)

hopefully we'll get some guy who posts a massive list of links for me to learn css and divs.. school holidays and its too hot to go outside :)

thanks,
    sam

8. caraewilton

caraewilton

Sam there are thousands of sites dedicated to this type of thing. Just google "css tutorial" and you will find a few million. Personally I found it boring. Instead I downloaded free templates from freecsstemplates and then just looked at how they worked. Then made my own site using the techniques I had seen on these templates. Another great site is cssplay. I have spent literally hours muddling through this guys stuff and can't tell you how much I have learned about how css works and little trick to get things working.
    Do you have a webpage authoring package, or do you plan using notepad?

9. Sammeh_Boy

I use a combination of notepad and First Page 2006. I downloaded the Dreamweaver trial like twice and installed and re-installed, but it never worked.

I'll give those sites a look, most tutorials are pretty boring :).

sam

10. caraewilton

caraewilton

11. Sammeh_Boy

I've downloaded it and had a small look, but not a huge go. I sorta lost motivation today.

I'll give a more in-depth look tomorrow. Nobody ever recommended me to this in the past.. perhaps the usual anti-microsoft stuff.. meh, it seems good to me.

12. caraewilton

caraewilton

Yeah, if you are prepared to get your head around manual coding, it works pretty well as an html editor. I actually use it to code xml pages for my blog. But the html and css side seem pretty okay to.

Slightly out of date but also good is komposer and NVU.

13. caraewilton

caraewilton

Hi Sam

Here is one approach. Not entirely complete but a start:)

Attached Files:

14. Sammeh_Boy

hey carae, sorry, its been a while. I was at on a bit of a holiday. I had a look at your start on the coding, its good, im reading a book about css and divs at the moment to try understand exactly whats going on. no luck yet, but i figure it'll come eventually.

im interested to see how far we can get with this design.. or if it will need to be modified..

thanks for the help,
    sam

15. caraewilton

caraewilton

I hope you enjoyed the holiday. Technically I too am on holiday, although that just means I have more time to do my work!

Anyways. I think you could probably do a lot with your design. Might want to consider chopping up the picture and then putting it back together in parts. But it is do able.

Feel free to ask questions. It is the best way to learn!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice