1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Coffee & Computer = Bad Mix

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grendel25, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grendel25

grendel25 Thread Starter

My wife spilled coffee on the computer. In the few days since, she said it's been shutting down by itself. Last night was the first chance I had to take a look at it.

Power Supply: Ultra X-Finity PSU
    Motherboard: Mach Speed Matrix P4M800

- Turned computer on, and it prompted to go into Repair mode. Appeared to finish, then suddenly the machine shut off.
    - I unplugged everything and opened case. None of the liquid appeared to have reached any of the electronics, just the case and cords (all dry by this time). I cleaned the case and cords, checking the plugs for any contamination. Any contact only appeared to be to cords, not plugs, and not to any electronics.
    - Plugged keyboard, monitor, and power cord in and started computer. Received message that CMOS didn't have time or date. Entered CMOS, fixed both, saved and exited. Windows 7 then loaded normally. I was able to log into the main admin profile. Ran all diagnostics I could find. Everything appeared to be working normally, including getting online. The machine was on for 20 minutes without problem.
    - Turned off and unplugged all cords, then reassembled case and plugged all cords back in.
    - Turned machine on. Immediately there were two quick beeps, followed by five short beeps and the smell of burning rubber. Quickly turned machine off.
    - Opened case, but could see nothing that showed where smell came from. Unplugged all but power cord, then pressed On button. Again, the same series of beeps. Turned it off.
    - Pressed On button again, with no response except for a brief attempt for fans to turn on. Tried again with zero response.
    - Flicked power switch at back of computer off and on, tried On switch again. Turned on with same series of beeps. Turned off, then pressed On button, with zero response.
    - Again, flicked power switch on back of computer off and on, tried On switch again. This time, machine powered up, but NO beeps at all.
    - Subsequent attempts resulted in either multiple beeps, no beeps, or no response to On switch.

Somehow, I've got a bad feeling about this.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I'd agree with that. If there is only one bad component it may be possible to just replace that part, but the trouble with liquids is they have a knack for getting all over the place, and you'll probably wind up having to replace the machine. What you can probably do is to remove the hard drive from the damaged computer and put it in the new one. That way you'd at least keep your data.

3. grendel25

grendel25 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Turns out the motherboard is bad, but it's under warranty and they'll send an identical replacemnt.

But they're also saying that I will need to reinstall the OS (Windows 7), and that all the files on my hard drive will therefore be deleted, meaning that everything will need tobe reinstalled. For an identical motherboard, does that make sense? The motherboard, by the way, is not what I originally noted above: it's actually an MSI G31M-L V2.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I'm not quite sure why they'd say that to be honest. If nothing else has changed the hard disk data should fit right in.
    At any rate I would think it should be possible to save the files on your hard disk if you remove it and hook it up to a second computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1044091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice