1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Coffee spill

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by commandoando, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. commandoando

commandoando Thread Starter

To make a long story short...I spilled a cup of coffee on my dresser were my laptop sits. It went underneath and a tiny bit on the keyboard. I cleaned it off the best I could and continued using my pc. After about half an hour it just shut off, when i finally got it to reboot and try to put my password in, sometimes it logs 2-4 of the same letters even though I only press the button once. Other times it tried logging in while I'm still typing. Any suggestions on what I could do to try and fix this? ...Hairdry it, take it apart? My friend said I should clean the keyboard by disassembling the laptop but I'm not quite sure how to do that...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

You must have gotten more coffee into the keyboard then you thought. Taking the keyboard out is simple IF you know how to do it. I think I would first leave the laptop off and let it dry out completey for a day. I would use some canned air to blow out the keyboard completely. Coffee with sugar or creme can be sticky when it dries. If you can remove the keyboard (I know this sounds nuts) I would rinse it out with a little water and then blow it dry with air.

3. commandoando

There was no sugar or anything, just black coffee...i do happen to have a can of air, and I've been trying to figure out how to take the keyboard out to clean it (acer aspire 5100-5033) series is what I have. Would you be able to tell me how to take the keyboard out? I don't really want to break anything trying to figure it out.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

5. commandoando

Thanks very much, you've been a tremendous help :) Have a great day!

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

You're welcome. A spill into the keyboard need not be the end of a laptop. Just be patient and do what you can to clean it out and dry it up before you use the laptop. Good luck and I hope you can get back to normal use of your laptop. :)

7. commandoando

One more quick question...is it alright to use a hairdrier to dry it out or would the heat be bad because of static electricity or something?

8. Emtronics

Emtronics

Yes a hairdryer will work as long as you don't melt anything which I doubt. The problem will be getting the "sticky stuff"left by the coffee out and that may take a little water and then another drying.

9. commandoando

I took the keyboard out, but it's attached to the laptop by what looks like a tiny piece of a roll of film...is it alright to just get a damp cloth and start washing away?

10. Emtronics

Emtronics

Disconnect the film. It just slides out of it's connector. Then start washing away and make sure it is dry when you put it back. Fred Langa once said he put a keyboard in a dishwasher once. I don't recommend that but a little plain water and a good drying should do it.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to CAREFULLY lift the locks on the side of the flex circuit connecting the keyboard, then slide it out. You don't want to pull the flex out without releasing the locking collar.

FWIW, to really get the coffee out will be a bit more than just drying the keyboard. You need to pop all the key tops. (take a picture first, makes it easier to be sure where they go back), and actually wash the keyboard. I just use plain water, and throughly flush it. Then you'll have to throughly dry it, my chosen method is first with canned air to blow out the bulk of the water, then a bake them in a WARM, NOT HOT oven, no more than 150F, preferably around 125F for a few hours at least.

Finally, when you replace the keyboard connection, make sure the locking collar is lifted, carefully slide the flex circuit connection until it bottoms out, then holding it in place, press the locking collar down.

12. commandoando

Thank you all very much. I spent the past 6 hours taking it apart and carefully cleaning everything with paper towels, water q-tips canned air and a few hair dryers. Just about everything seems to be in order, except the mouse pad on the laptop doesn't seem to be working nor the ethernet/wifi...any suggestions there? I went into device manager and there is a big yellow ? beside it which i'm guessing means i either need to update or install the drivers for that? Either way I don't remember getting any cd with the computer.

13. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

otherwise, the keyboard will be fried.(n) lol, just kidding

14. commandoando

I didn't read that until after I was done, but the keyboard works fine regardless, my concern now is the Ethernet controller.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice