1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Coke spilled on an acer nitro 5 laptop&battery built-in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maacu, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maacu

Maacu Thread Starter

My brother opened up a pepsi bottle right next to his Acer Nitro 5 laptop, he wasn't careful and it exploded. Fortunately his laptop didn't get a huge blast, approximately 0,5-3 centiliters (~0.15-1 oz), only fraction of it going inside the keyboard. 3 cl isn't much, but from everything I've read, all kinds of sugary drinks like coke are extremely damaging to your electronics, even in small doses and they will harm them long-term, even if there's no noticeable initial damage. The laptop didn't shut off instantly or freeze or go crazy or anything along the lines.

Of course we shut it off and took the charger off right away. I googled what to do and everywhere taking the battery out was recommended as the number 1 thing to do. Nitro 5 has a built-in battery and removing it would require opening the laptop up and most likely voiding the warranty, on top of me not being comfortable enough to attempt it. We were thinking of bringing it back to the store to get it checked up, but it's closed already, so it would have to wait till tomorrow. We left it to dry upside down. I'm really bad with hardware. I don't even know a how to remove keys, let alone remove any of the hardware to be dried separately. We don't know how long to dry it for, before we turn it back on and see if the laptop still works.

So here are my questions:
    1. Is an amount as small as <3cl of coke enough to worry about there being something seriously wrong?
    2. Is Nitro 5 extra water/liquidresistant since the battery isn't removable? I would assume if there was no option to remove the battery easily, there would be some extra security measures to keep the battery safe.
    3. How long should it dry for? I've seen some people say around a day and some recommend atleast a week.
    4. Has anybody spilled anything on a nitro 5 or a similar model, and what happened?
    5. Should I take it to professionals to get repaired or should I gamble and hope it still works? Either way it would need to wait for tomorrow, atleast 14 hours after the spill, during which most of the damage has probably happened already. On top of that there's all the repairing and/or checkup fees
    6. Is there anything else I can do to try and prevent further damage, that doesn't require any technical expertise?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    1. Yes.
    2. I wouldn't count on it being liquid resistant.
    3. Forget about just allowing it to dry. The Pepsi/Coke should be rinsed off with distilled water so components aren't corroded.
    We soak rusty nails in cola to get the rust off. I can't imagine what it might do to a motherboard.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try to rinse the coke off with a damp cloth and/or use a water pistol or washing up liquid bottle to squirt water onto the keyboard gently. You can use distilled water for a final rinse if you have some. Do it with the laptop upside down, that's important ! Then leave upside down in a warm place for a week before turning it on.

No-one can predict how this will turn out but getting as mush coke off as possible is your best bet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice