1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

COLD temperatures effect on PC???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigDaveinNJ, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

OK... I am not sure what forum to put this into..... but how much damage would my computer suffer if I were to store it in a self-storage place here in NJ... for about 3 months.

I notice the cost of climate-controlled storage is much more expensive and I was curious as to using regular storage. I certainly would rap up the PC well........ do you think I could get away with doing that? Or, will I need climate-controlled?

Thanks in advance :)

DAVID

2. lostoreador

lostoreador

Does the weather in NJ get below freezing?

If so, just wrap the computer in a blanket and give it something warm to drink.

Barring the blanket and drink suggestion. No harm should come to a computer stored in the cold so long as it doesnt get too cold.

Sometimes, with old computers, the cmos could be reset by freezing the motherboard, but, i wouldnt worry about that.

3. suesman

suesman

Other than the cold killing the CMOS battery, I wouldn't see that it cold be that big of a problem. As stated already, wrap it up in plastic & a good heavy blanket.

Make sure when you take it out that it "completely" warms to room temperature before firing it up. If it's too cold you could very well create a bit of condensation. :(

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Depending on the processor speed and your upgrades :D You can just ship it to me and I'll watch it for you for 3 months :D

5. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Thanks CANDY ............. lol

:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!