1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

college gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'Games' started by verticle, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. verticle

verticle Thread Starter

i've recently ordered a laptop for college (yesterday) and im starting to get worried it isn't as powerful as i first thought. I know the processor ram and hd are more then worthy of todays games for the most part, but im a little worried about the graphics card. the only thing is to get anything better you have to go to a 17" and you have to pay 2000 plus, and that isn't really in my budget and a 17" is hardly a laptop. so my question for you all is this. will i be able to play CS:S well, and by well i mean mostly on high settings getting 40+fps. CS:S is my game of choice, but i would also like to play other games coming out at a decent graphics level, maybe not on the highest settings, but on med to lower settings. hopefuly i didn't make a big mistake, in ordering this settup, although i can still cancel my order.;)

Battalion 101 CLS-Turbo

Case ( Battalion-101 CLS-Turbo Series 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA 1280x800 LCD TFT Notebook w/Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter, Deluxe Carrying Ca Original Metallic Silver/Black 2-Tone Color )
    Processor ( Mobile AMD® Turion™64 MT-40 CPU [2.2GHz, 1MB Cache] w/Hyper Transport Technology )
    Free Software/Game ( Free Game - [Age of Empires III] with purchase of any AMD Athlon-64 X2 or Mobile Turion based system )
    Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR-400 PC-3200 [Notebook Memory] Corsair )
    Video Card ( [New !!!] Mobility 256MB ATI Radeon X1600 PCI-Express 3D Video )
    Hard Drive ( 80 GB 7200rpm ATA-100 Super Slim Notebook Hard Drive )
    CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( 8X Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive [CLS-Turbo] )
    Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
    Fax Modem ( Build-in 56K V.92 Fax Modem [Notebook] )
    Network Card ( Build-in 10/100 Network LAN [Notebook] )
    Mouse ( [New !!!] Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse )
    USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in 4x USB 2.0 Ports [Notebook] )
    Flash Media Reader/Writer ( Build-in 3-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Notebook] )
    Car/Air Charger ( ** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** Opti-UPS SS1200-AVR Mighty Voltage Regulator )
    Carrying Case ( Free Deluxe Carrying Case )
    Operation System ( MS Windows XP Professional Edition w/Service Pack-2 )
    Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( None )
    IEEE-1394 Fire Wire Card ( Build-in 1x IEEE-1394 Firewire Port [Notebook] )

Video Camera ( Build-in CMOS Digital Web Video Camera 1.3Mega Pixels )

Wireless Network Adapter ( [FREE] Wireless LAN Wi-Fi 802.11g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Module )
    Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard One(1) Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
    Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )
    Sub Total: $1,668.00
    Current Coupon: 5% Instant Rebate (min. purchase $999 per system)
    5% OFF Instant Rebate for Battalion 101 CLS-Turbo -83.4

Shipping Method: $0.00
    (Optional) Coupon Code: Total: USD $1,584.60

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what are you studing at college ??? i'm sure it will be OK for that purpose :) :) :) and you may not have time for playing games any way ;) ;)

laptops are not very good game machines - desktop is still a better option - as you say you can get laptops with seperate graphic gards but start to get expensive - I have a HP dv5094ea which has a seperate 128MB video card and 1024 main memory for £799 in UK - no idea if it will playthat game though

but your spec sounds good
    what do you run that game on now

so its got 256MB video which may be a seperate card and 2GB of main memory

3. verticle

verticle Thread Starter

I'm studying Architecture, so i'll need a decent laptop anyways. but it does have a 256MB video card, but i'm not sure how well the X1600 plays games, its not all about memory anymore.

My PC now that i play counterstrike source on has a 3.2 P4, 1gig ram, 256MB GF6800. i know i have a good enough processor and more then enough memory, i'm just iffy on the cards ability to game.

4. acameron

acameron

the regular x1600 is as good as a vanilla 6800 (maybe better in some aspects, I think the 1600 has 12 pixel pipes where a plain 6800 has 8) I do not know how well a mobile x1600 compares to a regular x1600 though............

Otherwise, that laptop should be fine playing that game (and a few others I assume :D ,and it will work great for looking up new drinking games on-line:D:eek::D)

I would tend to agree with that but it is starting to look like more and more vendors are offering independent video cards in their systems. That statement is gonna get less and less use around here with the new mobility cards that are coming out :D :D

5. Kramer55

Kramer55

I have the 256MB X1400 ATI Mobility, and it is not a great card.

I can play HL2 and CS:S with all the details to high, but for other games such as COD:2, I have to lower the resolution.

I also have the 15.4 Widescreen display, and it is great for movies, but a different story for games; there is usually a max resolution for most games (HL2 for example) of 1024*768 no matter how high your desktop resolution is set for.

I also got my laptop for college next year, thinking that I would be playing all the latest games, but those do not work so well.

Your laptop will perform well, but the 256MB video card on a laptop is about equivalent to a lower-end 128MB desktop video card.

6. acameron

acameron

the x1400 was mobile only.....the mobile x1600 seems to be a direct derivation of the regular x1600.......if this is the case that laptop should perform pretty well with that game...........

X1600 ...... http://www.ati.com/products/RadeonX1600/specs.html

X1600 mobile .... http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeonx1600/specs.html

They are almost identical.............

I agree that right now laptops do not perform as well as desktops gaming wise.....but if they keep going with making more and more powerful graphics chips / cards for laptops (which they will, they won't have a TRUE desktop replacement Laptop until they can rival a desktops gaming performance) we will see less of the "A laptop generally does not play games well" statement. :p

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice