1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

college student laptop help

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by fearlesss, Sep 21, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. fearlesss

fearlesss Thread Starter

I am currently a college student in computer science at Depaul. I am going to be studing network security. I need to buy a laptop so I can work on my homework besides at home or at the labs. What OS system is best given my major? I am currently taking C++. Depaul (like U of Illinois ) is a windows school. I know Dell has been having quantity issues and I have only bought dells in the past because I like the custom ability so I do not know who make good laptops any more.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Might look into cyber power for custom laptops.
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/r05/ri05.asp
    I would suggest windows XP pro,as I have had so many stability problems with
    vista that I just got rid of it.
    You will want something with a decent processor and plenty of memory
    for compiling programs.
    I don't know if they still have XP,you might check with them

3. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    A lot of people are still afraid of Vista. It reminds me of when XP first came out and everyone warned to stick with 98. Check with your school to see what OS they recommend. It's possible they still use older software that isn't supported in Vista yet, but I've found that most schools not only support but recommend Vista by now.

As for brand, I'm not a big fan of Dell, either. I've had good luck with Sony and I'm a big fan of Lenovo. Your school may have a deal with some manufacturers to get you special pricing.

Good luck!

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Wow, I've never heard of CyberPower before, but I really like their selection of computers (not to mention customizations). Almost too many choices! And, yes, they still list XP in their system builder. :)

5. ckphilli

ckphilli

I bought my desktop from Cyberpower and haven't had any issues at all. I priced putting one together myself and they actually beat it, believe it or not.

Dell does have a bad rap...but I haven't had any issues with them. I had an Inspiron (base model can't remember the model #) laptop for 4 years; then I replaced it with a XPS (the lower model with upgraded processor and video card). I've had the XPS for about 6 months now and again no problems. Maybe I've just been lucky with the Dells, but I can't bad mouth them in good conscience.

Deal-wise though...I think Cyberpower is awesome...good luck in your search-

6. fearlesss

fearlesss Thread Starter

Anyone have a suggestions on manufacturers.

More spec models

Regardless of the fact
    my school has agreement with dell and apple for around 12% discount.

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

nothing great to add here other than to say I have a Toshiba satellite series that I keep in my work truck... It gets beat to death and keeps on working... I run Photoshop CS3 and Delorme map programs on it with no trouble...

I also have a MAC :eek: laptop at home that I am still getting the hang of and waiting for Apple to make it compatible with the software I wish to use...

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I bought a Dell Latitude for my daughter last year. Interestingly enough I checked the price with my employers discount, and also checked the CalPoly student discount price. Then I went to the Small Business section of the website and found that price was even better. You can still get XP there too.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice