1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Color coded memory slot help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ignavis, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ignavis

Ignavis Thread Starter

Alrighty, I'm running an MSI K8N Neo4. I've had it for a while, so far I've just been running a 512 stick in the first, green slot. Someone got me two sticks of 512 to fill out my system, I installed them but only recognized 1g of ram. I checked the manufacturer's site to find
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=k8n_neo4_platinum
    a nice diagram about dual and single channel memory that makes no sense to me. I believe all the sticks are dual channel, they have memory modules on both sides of the ram (if that is how you tell, I'm not sure). All three sticks are kingston value ram, they are pc3200, all three work (as I discovered after some musical chairs with memory). I'm currently running the two new sticks, recognizing 1g of memory, while I have my original stick in a box.

Can anyone help me out with the diagram or point me in the direction of something more helpful? The manufacturer's website has an online tech support page that is under construction. I just downloaded the manual but I was hoping for some easy insight.
    Anything would be greatly appreciated at this point.
    Thanks

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you cannot have dual channel with 3 memory chips on that board. Next you cannot just install any memory that fits and expect it to work. When you install memory, it should be on the board maker's approved or qvl list.

FWIW I would use just 2X512 in dual channel mode. Unless you are running vista, there really is no need for more than 1gig with xp.

4. Ignavis

Ignavis Thread Starter

I did read the "MSI reminds you" bit, I have the current sticks in the two green slots.
    As for the rest, I ordered the first piece of ram with the motherboard, I made sure it would work and it did just fine. The other two sticks were gifts, so I never looked into the limitations of my board.
    Photoshop and the occasional video game get ram hungry, so I wouldn't mind having the extra half gig since I now own it, but apparently that won't work in the current configuration.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice