Color laser printer question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Marlo

At the end of the year I will be buying a new computer. I do a lot of text printing in black and white and I want a laser printer.

I'd like to get a color laser, but I know the toner cartridges are expensive and I'm afraid that if I print out photographs and other things in color, that it will eat the black toner.

Does anyone know if those have duel cartridges? My b/w laser printer at work will print about 6K full sheets of text per cartridge. The b/w cartridge is $180 to replace.

What I'm getting at is I'd like a printer with a separate black toner cartridge and a separate color one. I like to play around w/color, but don't want it costing me black toner. Like if I use up all the color toner - fine - I can live without it, but I need the black.

I don't know if I explained this very well, but if anyone can help, I appreciate your time.

Thanks.
Marlo

Hi Marlo

Most of the color laser printers (at least the good ones) have separate toner cartridges for each color (one for black). Most of the printers are EXPENSIVE. Many are self monitoring and if you run out of any color they will stop until you replace the empty toner carriage with a full one.

Max19

Account Disabled
Ink jet printers usually provide higher quality color printouts than laser printers do. Get a B&W laser printer for text and a color ink jet printer for pictures. Have you even looked at the price of color lasers and their toner cartridges?

Marlo

I know the color lasers are pretty pricey, but I didn't know that ink jets do better quality color.

I'm getting a new computer too, so if I get a b/w laser and a color ink jet.... do I need any special hardware to hook up two printers? Do they come w/ enough ports (or whatever) to run both or should I ask for anything additional?

Thanks for your time.

Well I'm not that sure that inkjets give a better image than laser printers. The color laser printers we have here give a very good (and glossy) image and you don't need to worry about the picture getting wet and running (like ink jets). Run some test printouts on the printers before you buy and decide which looks best to you. If you get two printers with parallel ports you will need a second add on parallel port card. You could get one of the printers with a USB interface then you should not require any additional hardware.

Max19

Account Disabled
You don't NEED a parallel port card. I have two printers, and I'm perfectly content to physically connect whichever one I need at the time.

I've read many articles and reviews of printers, and they often say that the ink jet printers in the market today often produce higher quality print outs compared to color laser printers.

Of course if money is no object to you, then by all means, purchase the highest quality color laser printer you can find. Most people can't justify the cost.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts