1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Color printing not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CGearhart, Feb 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. CGearhart

CGearhart Thread Starter

I recently installed a new color cartridge in my HP4520 and now I can't get any documents I send to print in color. If I copy something from the glass or clean the cartridges and heads, it will print in color though. I've tried multiple documents and uninstalling/reinstalling the software and nothing's helping. Any suggestions?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. CGearhart

CGearhart Thread Starter

I've tried Word, Excel, various websites and Google drive on both Microsoft Edge and Chrome.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Open a document, click on print but instead of printing, click on the settings.

(I'm going out and my computer doesn't have Office on it so later tonight when I return, I'll have to move to a different computer to show you what I mean.)

5. CGearhart

CGearhart Thread Starter

Thanks. When I go to settings, I don't see any color/black and white settings like I'm used to.

upload_2019-2-7_16-59-24.png

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Strange because I have a color tab on my printer settings.
    print_preferences.jpg

Go to Devices and Printers and click to open.
    Right click and select Printing preferences. Is the color tab showing or missing?

If missing, download the driver and install it again.

7. CGearhart

CGearhart Thread Starter

I was able to install the driver and I see the color option back again, but now I can't get it to come back online to print a test page.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. CGearhart

CGearhart Thread Starter

That was a whole lot of work to change an ink cartridge, but it works again!! Thank you SOOO much!!

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yay!
    At least yours works. I have 2 HP printers that refuse to print in black with new genuine HP cartridges. I got tired of troubleshooting so they are sitting until I feel like getting frustrated - again.
    I might see if any of the steps In Allan's post apply to our broken ones.
    Meanwhile the two very, very old HP printers in the house just keep chugging along with few problems. My husband uses one we got in 1997 and I use one almost daily from 2003. They also print on 8 1/2" x 14" paper which the newer ones don't.

Rather than spending the big bucks for genuine HP carts, I might buy aftermarket. After all, they don't work now so trying an off-brand cart isn't go to make things worse.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice