1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[COLOR=Red]Plz help I cant get on the net[/COLOR]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fourreds, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fourreds

fourreds Thread Starter

My son's computer is linked to a linksys wireless router by a wireless ethernet bridge. His internet was working properly until a couple of weeks ago when it just stopped working. His internet connection says limited or no connectivity and packets are only being sent not recieved. I have connected his computer directly to the modem so it is not going through the linksys wireless hardware at all and we still have no connection. I have checked all of the computers hardware in device manager and it says everything is working properly. Also I have made sure all the drivers are updated and working properly. I have also run sfc/scannow to make sure there has been no corruption or deletion of necessary files. Could it be the card where the ethernet is plugged into the computer. Linksys is trying to tell me the problem is the distance from the wireless router to his computer (25 ft. by CAT 5E) but nearly directly over top of the room that the wireless router is in (12 ft. by direct length) and of course, this wasn't a problem for nearly a year!

I no longer have any ideas of what to do or try please help us with this. If you have any other ideas as to the possible cause, please let us know. [/COLOR]

2. fourreds

fourreds Thread Starter

If I wasn't too clear here, even when the computer is connected directly to the dsl modem through and ethernet cable, it still does not work and comes up with the same message, "Limited or no connectivity". It goes through the motion of "Aquiring address" but always fails. I've tried repairing the connection and even deleted it and made a new one with the wizard but to no avail. Help anyone?

3. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

When you hooked up your computer directly to the dsl modem, did you power cycle(unplug it for about 20-30 seconds then plug it back in) the modem?

4. fourreds

fourreds Thread Starter

Yes, we reset the modem and the computer also. No change to the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!