1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Color Scheme

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rsimoneau, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    Each time I turn on my computer (HP Pavilion 500-205T(new from HP) A box comes up saying that the color scheme is being changed due to a program running: Qttask.exe Apple.com. Process Identifier 2708. I have no idea what this is and I can't find it listed in the "control panel" list of programs??
    The new machine has Windows 7 at the OPS and was a close-out from HP, I guess they are getting rid of all the Windows 7 machines. They did make me a offer I couldn't refuse.
    R
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6049 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 832498 MB; E: Total - 238414 MB, Free - 184257 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 2AF7
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Updated and Enabled

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, QuickTime is the video player that iTunes uses to play videos. It installs along with iTunes, so what you can try is to uninstall iTunes, reboot the computer, then first make sure your 'new' Windows 7 computer is completely up to date with the Windows Updates, then go to Apple.com and download and install the latest version of iTunes. Of course if you don't use iTunes at all, simply uninstall it and your problem should be solved.

3. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    Thanks for your reply.
    I did uninstall Quick Time, then I went to the control panel and found that there were 2 Quick times (Quick Time & Quick Time +). Uninstalled QT+ when I tried to do the same for QT this box came up.
    "Removing Quick Time system extensions can cause applications to malfunction. Click "uninstall" to remove the application that came with Quick Time. Click "everything" to remove the system extensions as well (Not Recommended)."
    I clicked on cancel. I then shut the machine off and turned it on and the "Color scheme" box came on again telling me that a change is being made in the color scheme, so where do I go now??
    Ralph

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You create a restore point then you go to uninstall QT and QT+ and select uninstall rather than cancel.

5. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    Thanks for your reply.
    You lost me with that "Restore Point" I'm 89 years old and a lot of the computer mumbo jumbo is way over my head. I can do a few things with my computer, edit photos, write letters, keep spread sheet records etc. It take me a while to learn to do these so my knowledge is very limited. I'm delighted to find sites like this one because you guys, over time, have helped me a lot. God bless you for that.
    So if you can explain, in language I can understand, "restore point" I will, hopefully, be able to solve this latest problem.
    Thanks again!!
    Ralph

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    As a senior citizen myself, I'm happy to share what I've learned. I generally don't give detailed instructions because the youngsters get offended.

1. Right click computer and select Properties.
    2. In the box that comes up, in the left pane, click on System Protection.
    3. In the smaller box that opens, click on the System Protection tab if it is not open.
    4. Click on the Create button down at the bottom.
    5. In the dialog box that pops up, enter a description like Before I removed QT and QT+.

That way, if anything goes wrong, we can walk you through restoring your computer to the stage before you removed QT and QT+.

6. Wait while the computer gathers all the info and saves it.

Now go back to removing QT and QT+. Good luck Ralph.

You might want to print out my directions in case you need to make a restore point sometime in the future.

7. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    Thanks again!!
    Your directions are just what this old WWII Marine vet needs, and the youngsters can all take a hike!!
    Before I set-up the "restore point" should I use the uninstall that comes with the QT program, after I set-up the control point, or go to the "Control Panel" and uninstall from there.
    I'm glad to know there are other seniors out there, God Bless ya !
    Ralph

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    First, thank you for your service a couple of days before Veteran's Day!

Second: create the restore point before you uninstall anything. That way, if anything appears broken after you uninstall it, you undo what you do by using that restore point.

Since I don't have QT installed, I'd probably use the uninstall in the QT program itself rather than the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

9. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    A double thank you for your solution to my problem and also for the service thanks.
    I'm kind of busy the next several days (doctors appointments) so I wont get to follow your instructions. When I do I will let you know the out-come.
    Ralph

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I understand. We'll be here when you are ready.

11. rsimoneau

rsimoneau Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ralph (UncleMarine)
    problem has been solved with your very clear instructions. Thanks a lot!!.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You're welcome!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1136683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice