1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Color Settings Change

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pdp031862, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pdp031862

pdp031862 Thread Starter

I have Windows 98. My color setting changed automatically to 16 colors. Every time I try to change it back to what it needs to be, it does not take. Windows restarts and when it comes back up, it is still at 16 colors. I can't find my video driver to re-install it. Any suggestions???? If I upgraded my Windows would that solve the problem.

Thanks.

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

What type of video driver are you looking for? Name, Mfg, etc

3. pdp031862

pdp031862 Thread Starter

I am really not sure. I thought maybe I received one with the original drivers that were sent when I bought the computer but I do not have one. My computer is a Pionex.

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Lets start with the monitor, what brand and model is it and what do you have setup in control panel display?

5. raybro

raybro

Hi pdp031862... I suggest you D/L AIDA32 which will tell you all you need to know in order to understand what drivers you need. It will identify you video card (Display Adapter) so you can get the latest drivers from the mfr's web site.

AIDA32 is free and you can get it here:

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like open to the video section.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

If you don't want to download a program you might be able to identify your video card/display adapter by going to Start> run> then type "dxdiag" without the quotes> then when the diagnostic tool box comes up click on the display tab. You should have the information for your video card, manufacturer, possibly driver version.

If the driver isn't the problem consider the following:

I had a similar problem when I put in a new video card. I used the disk that came with it to provide the drivers and they were already obsolete. Even then, I downloaded newer drivers and still couldn't get it out of 16 colors. I took the video card out and tried to return it and was told that after you have the video card in, most current drivers downloaded, you need to change
    the adapter refresh rate. For some reason the adapter refresh rate defaults to "unknown" and as long as that's what it is set at you can't get out of 16 colors. I took the card home, reinstalled it and darn if it wasn't true. I changed the adapter refresh from "unknown" to "adapter default". apply and reboot; then changed it from "adapter default" to "optimal" and apply,
    reboot. (You have to do this in increments because if you go from "unknown" to "optimal" it defaults back to "unknown". Try right clicking on desktop>properties> settings tab> advanced button> adapter tab and change it if on "unknown". Just worth a try. But keep in mind that you may need updated drivers from maker's web site.

7. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

I agree with cowboy, change your refresh rate to either optimal or adapter default. That's usually the little rascal that causes that problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice