1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Colour Laser Printers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Duxie, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duxie

Duxie Thread Starter

Hi,

Need some advice on colour laser printers. I'm looking for a cost effective laser printer that can print from separate colour and black cartridges. Best bang for buck as they say. What is the operating cost. I'll be printing less than 5000 a month.

Thanks
    Duxie

2. Tony Parkes

Tony Parkes

3. arknorth

arknorth

Mmmm... possibly... Oki does give one of the best results quality wise, but price per copy isn't there.

Oki uses a polymer toner - what that means is that even if you put junk paper in it, you get what looks like a magazine print out of it - nice, shiny and glossy. BUT...

Oki s have separate toner from their drums - that's 4 drums that need to be replaced down the road.

Best price to use ratio would be with a machine that combines the drum and toner elements, and DON'T charge you for the drum (they expect you to RECYCLE THEM). Even though they don't give the same overall quality of the Oki s, I would lean towards the HPs.

I would also lean towards a ladder-system type, rather than the Gatling type - a ladder has a drum for EACH toner - a Gatling has a single drum and 4 toners that use it 4 times per pass - not only is that slow, it causes unwanted wear to the drum as it runs out 4 times faster (and usually cost 4 times higher to replace). Ladders tend to be faster, though HP did make one or two deadly slow ones (the 1600 based series for example).

So yes, Oki s are great if you're looking for performance and looks. If you're looking for cost to run, I'd look at an HP.

If you're looking for volume, I'd look at a Xerox Phaser with those crayon wax blocks in them. Not cheap, but a heavy worker.

A-N

4. Duxie

Duxie Thread Starter

Thanks. The HP ladder type system sounds like the best bet for me. Any specific model you can suggest?

5. arknorth

arknorth

It depends on how heavy is your printing needs - what will it be used for? Regular daily printing, business printing, light once-in-a-while printing?

A-N

6. Duxie

Duxie Thread Starter

Daily printing. Probably less than 1000 a month.

7. arknorth

arknorth

Then you'd probably want to stick with the personal colour printers - I see by their site that they still have the venerable Laserjet 1600 available over there, which is now about 4 years old. They also show the CP1210 and CP1510, which replaced the 1600 some time ago. Any of these three would be good choices for basic machines, if you can deal with the fact that they aren't the fastest machines on earth. At prices ranging from £149 to £179 ($299.99 and $399.99 US for the 1215 and 1518ni respecively for us in the States - the 1600 is retired), they also aren't incredibly expencive either.

A-N

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice